Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
KJTindle

Default How do you insert automatice numbering on labels?

I am working in a law office and we handling documents in litigation cases.
We want to create "bates labels" using the 80 labels per page. On these
labels we insert alpha letters to designate a person and numbers for the
pages. We want to be able to print pages at a time that will automatically
update as you move to each label. For example: ABC 001 through ABC 080 on
the first page, and then move to the second page and it will continue the
numbering.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dawn Crosier

What I would do, is create your numbering in an Excel Spreadsheet and
then perform a Mail Merge to your labels to generate your Bates
Numbering System.

To do that, inside of Excel in Column A, Row 1 Type in: Bates No
Press Enter to select Column A, Row 2 and Type in: ABC001
Press Enter to select Column A, Row 3 and Type in: ABC002
Then select both cells with your Bates Numbers, and drag the lower
left corner of the selection until you have the required number of
Bates Numbers.

Then save your Excel Sheet and use the following tutorial to generate
you merged Bates Labels:
http://www.personal-computer-tutor.com/mailmerge.htm

If you want a more robust method of creating your Bates Labels, then
you will need to explore VBA for generating your numbers.

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

This message is posted to a newsgroup. Please post replies and
questions to the newsgroup so that others can learn as well.

"KJTindle" wrote in message
I am working in a law office and we handling documents in litigation
cases.
We want to create "bates labels" using the 80 labels per page. On
these
labels we insert alpha letters to designate a person and numbers for
the
pages. We want to be able to print pages at a time that will
automatically
update as you move to each label. For example: ABC 001 through ABC
080 on
the first page, and then move to the second page and it will
continue the
numbering.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dawn Crosier

I had another thought: You could use the SEQ field.

Insert your Field braces by pressing CTRL+F9
Place your cursor inside the Braces and type in: SEQ Bates \# "ABC
000"
Press F9 to update the field. You will see ABC 000 in your document.
Copy that and paste it onto your labels.
They will all say ABC 000. Select all of them. (CTRL+A) and Update
them by pressing F9. Now they will say ABC 001; ABC 002; etc.

BTW You can type anything after the SEQ field. It's just a name. So
you could have Smith_v._Jones (no spaces allowed)

--

"KJTindle" wrote in message
I am working in a law office and we handling documents in litigation
cases.
We want to create "bates labels" using the 80 labels per page. On
these
labels we insert alpha letters to designate a person and numbers for
the
pages. We want to be able to print pages at a time that will
automatically
update as you move to each label. For example: ABC 001 through ABC
080 on
the first page, and then move to the second page and it will
continue the
numbering.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

If you merge a SEQ field you will get the numbers restarting after each page
break. See http://www.gmayor.com/Numbered_labels.htm