Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mark Kruger Mark Kruger is offline

Default Windows 2003 locks up computer.

I recently had a hardware problem with my computer. My motherboard died and
had to be replaced. I was running an Azza KT3-AV motherboard with an AMD
Athlon XP 1800 CPU. I replaced it with an IWILL motherboard with an AMD
Athlon AMD XP 1800 CPU ( used but checked to be OK by a reputable computer
recycler). There is 750 megs of memory. In the process, one of my hard drives
(C) had problems and was removed and replaced by my other hard drive (F). F
was renamed C and another hard drive was installed and named F. In the
process, everything that was able to be moved on C was moved to new C. Some
things on new C (old F) were moved to new F (mainly data files). I reloaded
MS Office Pro 2003 on C. If I open up Word the computer locks up. Excel works
fine, so I think my main problem is Word. Also, the computer will lock up on
its own for no apparent reason, sometimes when Internet Explorer is open,
more often when Firefox is open. I don't know if the problems are related or
not. I made sure I have all of MS updates, I have run repair form Add/Remove
programs (didn't help). Uninstalled and reinstalled Office Pro 2003. Still
have the problem. When Word locks up the computer, sometimes it is before it
opens all the way, but always as soon as you start typing. I will try
anything you suggest to fix this. Help, please. I don't know if there is a
compatability problem with the motherboard, I had firefox on before but did
not use it much.
If you have any questions to help clarify please ask. This is driving me
nuts. I need my computer to work. If I had the money I would get a new
computer and start over, but can't afford that right now.