Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
rcurtice rcurtice is offline

Default Restricting Styles based on Template

I am creating document for a whole group of people to use to create
subsections that will be compiled to create a major document.

We are all using Word 2003.

I have a template that I have only the styles to be used. I have tried
to use the restrict styles from doucment protection function. I have
add all the styles that show in use. When I apply the restriction it
prompts to change the styles that were not allowed that are still int
document. At first I couldn't figure out which styles the message was
refering to until I looked at my header and footer. They got all
messed up if followed through on the prompt.

So the problem comes in where styles of header and footer are
concerned. I have to include the writters name and a few other things
for each section.

I even tried reating a style for each of the styles in the header and
foot (including font size and underlining, bold, etc...) but it still
got messed up.

Any help would be really apperciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Shauna Kelly Shauna Kelly is offline

Hi

By default, Word uses styles Header and Footer for the content of headers
and footers. If you don't like the formatting of those styles, then modify
them to add the font size, underlining and bold etc that you need.

You also need to define styles for all character-level formatting you want
to allow. For example, if you want to show just one word in the header in
italics, you'll need an Italics style. Same for bold, underlined etc.

Your users will also need styles like this to create a sentence such as
"Last night I saw a performance of _King Lear_." or "That issue covered in
the _Trade Practices Act 1974_."

You might also like to think about what paragraph formatting you want to
allow your users, all of which is unenabled when you protect a document for
styles. For example, it might be appropriate to allow a user to mark a
paragraph as "Keep with next" or to have "Page break before".

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

oups.com...