Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Rick Fears Rick Fears is offline

Default Section breaks and repagination

I have a document (not particularly long at the moment but it will grow!)
where the introduction of a section break (to go from portrait to
landscape, and to allow chapter numbering in the footer page number, has
resulted in the document repaginating every time the cursor moves down
after the section break - this is in print layout view.

If I delete the section break (replacing with a page break) the problem
goes away, but I loose portrait/landscape..

I've tried cutting and pasting the text above and below the section break
into a new document without success - as soon as I put the first section
break in it all goes wrong again. I've also reverted to the Normal template
using the instructions available from the Microsoft support site.

This is Word 2003 SP2 - any ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Henk57[_46_] Henk57[_46_] is offline

Dear Rick:
I am not sure if I understand you properly. Are you looking for a
pagination style 1-1, 1-2, 1-n, and for Chapter 2, 2-1, 2-2, 2-n? Then
indeed dividing the document into sections is correct. You can restart
the numbering after each section break or contunuous from the previous
section which is likely what you need when inserting a landscape page.
Unlink the section footer from the previous section footer and insert
the page number format you need (Insert/Page number../Format...). If I
misunderstood what you want to do, pls repost with an example of what
you seek and I'll try to help you if possible.

--
Henk57
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Rick Fears Rick Fears is offline

Henk57 wrote in news:Henk57.cf1d47
@officefrustration.com:

Dear Rick:
I am not sure if I understand you properly.

snip

Henk57

thanks for the reply - getting the correct page numbers (1-1, 1-2...
2-1, 2-2, etc) and other issues are not the problem. The problem is that
as soon as I insert a section break (to achieve the page numbering,
changing for portrait to landscape, etc) the document essential becomes
corrupt - when I move the cursor through the document Word tells me it
is "repaginating" the document - for every cursor down movement. I
believe this is a known corrupt document problem and I have tried all
the recommendations from the Microsoft support site (i.e. recreate the
Normal template, cut and paste into a new document, etc). Another issue
I have found with the document which I didn't mention in my original
post (fix one problem first...), is that the headers and footers "flash"
from one position to another. I have a small table in each header and
footer with bits of text in that are generated from StyleRef, and I
thought I would use the Section Breaks to change the headers and footers
for landscape and portrait views - the end effect is that the cell
widths in these tables changes every few seconds so the headers/footers
appear to "flash".

I really enjoy finding quirks in Word - but not when I'm on a
deadline...

Thanks again for the reply, and if you can help it would be most
appreciated

Rick.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Henk57[_47_] Henk57[_47_] is offline

A corrupted document can be mind-boggling, indeed. Not sure if I can
help you, but here is what you could try.
Open a new document and insert the section breaks according to your
needs. Copy the text from the section from yr original document, but
-importantly - copy it WITHOUT the final paragraph mark in the section.
(Make sure you show the non-printable characters ON). In the last
paragraph mark Word stores characteristics of the section "under
water". Repeat this for every section. Chances are you left yr
document corruption behind then.... HTH, GL, Henk
-

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Rick Fears[_2_] Rick Fears[_2_] is offline

Henk57 wrote in
:

A corrupted document can be mind-boggling, indeed. Not sure if I can
help you, but here is what you could try.
Open a new document and insert the section breaks according to your
needs. Copy the text from the section from yr original document, but
-importantly - copy it WITHOUT the final paragraph mark in the
section. (Make sure you show the non-printable characters ON). In the
last paragraph mark Word stores characteristics of the section "under
water". Repeat this for every section. Chances are you left yr
document corruption behind then.... HTH, GL, Henk

Henk

thanks for the reply, sorry it's taken a while to respond, I've been
without Internet access for the last couple of days :-(

I've managed to solve the problem (I hope) by doing a variant of your
suggestion (In fact I recreated all the portrait stuff from scratch,
leaving the landscape stuff as it was). Today I'll try adding some more
portrait sections at the end just to make sure I've lost the corruption.

Many thanks to all

Rick.