Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Penny Miller

Default How do I get records to print on the proper document?

I have a user that wants to input a list of information into one spot an
have it print out on the proper document that would be associated with those
records.

She has created a data source using Excel2003 that has 9 fields to a record
(To, Date, Type of Permit, File Number, Project Planner, Applicant, Acting
Agent, Project Name, Comments Due). Also, she has also created 10 different
documents that this information would merge to.

How do I associate these records to print on the proper form? Would I do
this in Excel or Word?

Word2003/Excel2003

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

You could use mail merge in Word. Each form would be created as a mail
merge main document to which would be attached the Excel spreadsheet as the
data source.

See the article "Creating a Mail Merge Data Source" at:

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/MailMe...DataSource.htm

See the article "How to create a Mail Merge" at:

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/MailMe...AMailMerge.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Penny Miller" wrote in message
I have a user that wants to input a list of information into one spot an
have it print out on the proper document that would be associated with
those records.

She has created a data source using Excel2003 that has 9 fields to a
record (To, Date, Type of Permit, File Number, Project Planner, Applicant,
Acting Agent, Project Name, Comments Due). Also, she has also created 10
different documents that this information would merge to.

How do I associate these records to print on the proper form? Would I do
this in Excel or Word?

Word2003/Excel2003

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Penny Miller

That is what I am currently doing for her. The problem I have is the
following;

1. She enters in all the data into one datasource
2. When she opens her mailmerge document called Agency.doc she only wants
the records to merge to this document that pertain to this document.
3. And when she opens the mailmerge document called Irrigation.doc she only
wants the records to merge to this document that pertain to this document
and so on.

I think I need an IF statment in each field but I'm not sure because I did
this, but I ended up having 37 letters with blank fields and only 3 letters
that had information in the fields. I'm lost.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

What distinguishes the fields for Agency from those for Irrigation?

Quite frankly, the easiest thing to do is to cut one lot of records from the
Excel spreadsheet and paste them into a different one so that you have a
separate data source for each mail merge main document.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Penny Miller" wrote in message
That is what I am currently doing for her. The problem I have is the
following;

1. She enters in all the data into one datasource
2. When she opens her mailmerge document called Agency.doc she only wants
the records to merge to this document that pertain to this document.
3. And when she opens the mailmerge document called Irrigation.doc she
only wants the records to merge to this document that pertain to this
document and so on.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Penny Miller

I'm not sure what your quite sure what your asking but... Irrigation is one
of the many "To" (Agency).

FYI: There are 27 different Agencies (Irrigation, Public Works, Fire
District#1 and so on... there is also a generic one called Agency), there
are also 6 different Planners (Brain, Cliff...), and 9 different permits
(Subdivision, Shortplat...) that need to be merged into the document.

What the user does is inputs information that she receives from a stack of
client folders into Excel2003 spreadsheet that has 9 fields to a record
(To, Date, Type of Permit, File Number, Project Planner, Applicant, Acting
Agent, Project Name, Comments Due). If this client needs to be going to
different "To" (Agency)

Basically, one clients folder could print out on 12 different documents.

Thanks for being patient w/me I'm not sure how to explain this.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

At the start of each merge document enter a SkipIf field pertaining to the
conditions required for that document eg

{SKIPIF {Mergefield Agency} "Irrigation"}

That will enter all the records that have the Agency field set to
Irrigation.

You have a planner called 'Brain'?

Penny Miller wrote:
I'm not sure what your quite sure what your asking but... Irrigation
is one of the many "To" (Agency).

FYI: There are 27 different Agencies (Irrigation, Public Works, Fire
District#1 and so on... there is also a generic one called Agency), there
are also 6 different Planners (Brain, Cliff...), and 9
different permits (Subdivision, Shortplat...) that need to be merged
into the document.
What the user does is inputs information that she receives from a
stack of client folders into Excel2003 spreadsheet that has 9 fields
to a record (To, Date, Type of Permit, File Number, Project Planner,
Applicant, Acting Agent, Project Name, Comments Due). If this client
[...]

to this document and so on.

I think I need an IF statment in each field but I'm not sure
because I did this, but I ended up having 37 letters with blank
fields and only 3 letters that had information in the fields. I'm
lost. "Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote in
message
You could use mail merge in Word. Each form would be created as a
mail merge main document to which would be attached the Excel
spreadsheet as the data source.

See the article "Creating a Mail Merge Data Source" at:

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/MailMe...DataSource.htm

See the article "How to create a Mail Merge" at:

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/MailMe...AMailMerge.htm

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of
my services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Penny Miller" wrote in message
I have a user that wants to input a list of information into one
spot an have it print out on the proper document that would be
associated with those records.

She has created a data source using Excel2003 that has 9 fields
to a record (To, Date, Type of Permit, File Number, Project
Planner, Applicant, Acting Agent, Project Name, Comments Due). Also,
she has also created 10 different documents that this
information would merge to.

How do I associate these records to print on the proper form? Would I
do this in Excel or Word?

Word2003/Excel2003

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Penny Miller

I appreciate the help.

Quick fingers typing I guess, it's "Brian" not "Brain". Wouldn't that be
something to have the name Brain?

Thanks.