Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jwhook jwhook is offline

Default Cross Reference page number and figures between documents.

So, I have a document that has a table of contents and then a series of
INCLUDETEXT statements to load each of the smaller documents. The table of
contents works great. The smaller documents get all their paging and Figure
statements correctly sequenced when printing the organizing document. Cross
references individual documents also update correctly.

But I can't figure out a way to get a cross reference in one document to
another document, with proper updates.

I've tried several approaches and the one that comes closest is this:

Chap2.doc - add a cross reference to a figure in Chap2 that I want to refer
to in Chap1. Bookmark that cross reference and make it a hidden font.

Chap1.doc - use an INCLUDETEXT that refers to the bookmark in Chap2. Change
the font formatting to visible.

Organizer.doc - has an INCLUDETEXT for Chap1.doc and Chap2.doc.

After updating fields I get an "Error! Bookmark not defined."

So... do I just have to tweak something? Is there another technique to
accomplish what I'd like to do? Or is this a dead end? I'm open to writing
macro code if necessary.

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi jwhook,

In the source document:
1. insert a page # cross-reference for the relevant portion of text.
2. select the page # cross-reference and press Ctrl-F9 to enclose it in a pair of field braces (eg { 9 })
3. edit the filed to look like {SET XREF# 9 }, where # is a number (this is to allow multiple such cross-references)
4. press F9 to update the field - it will disappear, but don't worry (though it might be best to do this somewhere in the document
where the field won't be liable to accidental deletion).

In the target document, insert an INCLUDETEXT field pointing to the XREF# bookmark in the source document.

--
Cheers
macropod

"jwhook" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jwhook jwhook is offline

Well, that doesn't quite do it. Let me try to explain again.

=============
organizer.doc
includetext chap1.doc
includetext chap2.doc

chap1.doc
look for the answer on page [ ] in chap2.doc

chap2.doc
some text goes here
here's how to do it -- this is where I want to cross reference.
===========
In your solution "chap1.doc" is the source, "chap2.doc" is the target. What
I get is the page # within the chap2.doc in chap1.doc, not the actual page #
for my whole document, which is the organizer document.

The page # printed in my footer for "here's how to do it" in chap2.doc is
the correct page #. But the cross reference doesn't reflect that page #.

Hopefully that better explains what I'm trying to do.

"jwhook" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi jwhook,

You'll need to set the page numbering for the source document to start from the appropraite page# for its position in the set.
Either that or :
.. {SET XREF# {=9+%%}}, where %% is the required offset to the returned page #; or
.. embed theINCLUDETEXT field in a formula field that adds the required offset to the returned page #.

--
Cheers
macropod

"jwhook" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jwhook jwhook is offline

Thanks macropod.

That was a little too fast for me, so let me try and say it back to you. In
all these cases you've talked about setting an offset, correct?

How will I know what that is? In an automatic kind of way?

Thanks.

"jwhook" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jwhook jwhook is offline

I should add that as stated in my original question, I also need this to work
for figure #s, which I'm pretty sure has the same sort of limitations, which
I would characterize as: the sequence which Word calculates sequences doesn't
seem to handle a second layer of reference -- using another document to pull
the originals together. As you can probably tell, I'm trying to avoid
master/sub-documents which I think would handle this correctly.

"jwhook" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi jwhook,

For the page numbering, you need to either:
.. format the numbers to start from whatever their vaules will be in the final document; or
.. add that number, minus 1, to the field values. That's the offset I was referring to.

There is no way to get a Caption series to start at anything other than one. You can, however, include the Chapter # as part of the
Caption - provided you use one of Word's in-built heading Styles for the Chapter #.

--
Cheers
macropod