Ray J Ray J is offline
Junior Member

Default Remove Blank Line Above Tables

I created a bunch of tables in a Word 2007 file, text below the tables are nice and snug with no gaps or extra lines. But when I try to create a header or type above the table, a blank line is automatically inserted between the top of the table and the text. How do I get rid of this? I hit the Show Paragraphs, and nothing shows on the blank line.

I just created a blank document, and the problem is not there? Will the problem reappear at random?

Last edited by Ray J : September 21st 09 at 04:47 PM
Ray J Ray J is offline
Junior Member

I just realized inserting bullets adds the blank line. I am a newbie, so I don't know how to delete this thread. I will post this Q on a thread that deals with bullets.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

If you are creating a header, this should not impact the document body at
all. If you are inserting a heading, then don't you need to have a paragraph
to insert it in? If the issue is a table at the top of a page following a
page break, you can get around the blank paragraph Word inserts by applying
"Page break before" formatting to the first row of the table instead of
inserting a manual page break.

http://word.mvps.org

--
Ray J

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

Hi Ray,

In adition to Suzanne's comments: You've checked the paragraph's "Space
after" setting?

Greetings,
Klaus

Ray J Ray J is offline
Junior Member

I have set the paragraph space settings to 'dont add space'. My tables are in the middle of the page and they turn out like this:

Table 1:

TABLE

Instead I want this:

Table 1:
TABLE

and it doesnt matter if I try to snug it up to existing text above it or right click on the table to create a caption. I still get the blank lines... but only when I have bullet points in the table.

Ray J Ray J is offline
Junior Member

Figured it out. I simply put a blank row at the top of the table with a zero height. Thanks for the help.