Joe McGuire

Default A way to replace text

I am looking for a nice way to, in effect, find strings of text in a lengthy
Word document and modify them, such as Underlining, or even apply a style,
even a character style, which obviously would leave me free to change even
that formatting later on with ease. I don't actually want to replace the
text. The catch is that the strings, each of which is at the beginning of a
paragraph, end with a number immediately preceding a colon. For example
"Interrogatory No. 5:", "Interrogatory No. 6:" and so on. There are 3
variations on those strings, the first being the one above, the second being
Request to Admit No. n: " and the other "Request to Produce No. n:", with n
representing the sequential numbering of these items.

Is there a way to do this with Find and Replace? I figured out how to find
the strings using wildcards, but I can't figure how to replace with with the
same text (or just keep the text) but with new formatting or a character
style. Instead I am getting "Interrogatory*" literally.

(Of course, we did not create this document)

Greg

Use ^& (which means content of the find what field) in the replace with
boox.

So:

MoreUse Wildcards
Type - Request to admit No. [0-9] in find what
Put cursor in replace with box and type ^&
apply the fomatting or style to the the replace with
Replace All

If you already know how to find the text, then the rest is simple:

1. In the "Replace with" box, type ^$ (which represents the text Word
found).*

2. Click on Format, then Font or Style and choose the desired formatting.
There are some shortcuts to formatting: if you want to underline the text,
you can just press Ctrl+U instead of Format | Font; similarly, Ctrl+I and
Ctrl+B work the same as in document text.

*If you have really used wildcards (that is, you have "Use wildcards"
checked), then you'll need to use \1 in the "Replace with" box (assuming you
didn't have your wildcards grouped into more than one string). But you might
not need wildcards to find the expressions you cite: You could use
"Interrogatory No. ^#:" to search for single-digit numbers, adding another
^# for double digits.

"Joe McGuire" wrote in message
[...]

Joe McGuire

Thanks for all your help. It took a while to get it working right but the
job is done! As it turned out, I was not really "Finding" everything and I
had to tinker around with that part of it. A lot, actually. Sue's
suggestion to Search for "Interrogatory No. ^# found the single digit
numbers but searching for the samething with ^## did not find double digit
numbers. I read a lengthy MVPS paper on Using Wildcards
(http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/UsingWildcards.htm) and found that the
most reliable way to Find all the strings in each category was to search for
"Interrogatory No. *:" and do the same for each of the other 2 categories.
Skipping the ":" made a mess. Before actually having Word "Replace All" I
was careful to run through each category to be sure I would "get" all or
nearly all I was really looking for.

Note: I was stumped by so many instances of the Find/Replace skipping over
text that exactly matched my Search (I looked as carefully as I could).
Just to be sure I tried searching only for simple parts of the string (e.g.,
"Interrogatory") and the search skipped over them just the same. The source
document was a PDF file, itself a scan of a faxed document, which my
secretary then converted into Word (actually it ended up as an RTF file--I
don't press her on the details of how she does this stuff--she starts to
hyperventilate when dealing with anything byond the most elementary aspects
of Word and threatens to quit). So I figure something bizarre was going on
like invizzzible characters. Ones that only some secret part of the
computer can see.

[...]

Klaus Linke

Hi Joe,

So I figure something bizarre was going on like invizzzible characters.

Very likely!

Ones that only some secret part of the computer can see.

Might have been fields (which can be shown with Alt+F9) or hidden text
(usually shows when you hit the ¶ button on the formatting toolbar).

You can also use "Tools Options View" to toggle the display of field
codes, hidden text, and other stuff.
Wildcard searches are more prone to be duped by the invisible stuff than
regular searches.

Regards,
Klaus

Joe McGuire

Interesting. I had already replaced the "invizzzzible" text, i.e., the
stuff I could see but Find could not. But I saved prior drafts with the
unchanged text so for the heck of it I played around with the problem. I
was unable to see anything hidden using either Fields or the paragraph
button, which I always set to display anyway. I also went to Tools,
Options, View and saw that in the section Formatting marks the box for All
was checked. I also checked the other boxes but nothing turned up that I
could not already see.

I learned a while back (from Ms. Barnhill) that paragraph marks are not
always what they seem to be in Find/Find&Replace, especially if the document
was not originally created in Word. There are paragraph marks and then
there are paragraph marks. Evidently, even plain-looking text may not
always be what it appears to be, in a document created outside Word. In
this case, Find found around 90-95% of the occurences of the text it
searched for so maybe I should look on the bright side. Since the searched
items were numbered I was able to detect the ones it missed. On the other
hand if such items are not numbered . . . well, there's proof-reading.
Thanks!

"Klaus Linke" wrote in message
Hi Joe,

So I figure something bizarre was going on like invizzzible characters.

Very likely!

Ones that only some secret part of the computer can see.

Might have been fields (which can be shown with Alt+F9) or hidden text
(usually shows when you hit the ¶ button on the formatting toolbar).

You can also use "Tools Options View" to toggle the display of field
codes, hidden text, and other stuff.
Wildcard searches are more prone to be duped by the invisible stuff than
regular searches.

Regards,
Klaus

Joe McGuire

I am not sure how I would know that. The Word document was actually created
as the result of scanning/converting a PDF file and converting it to RTF,
and then saving a copy in Word. In my earlier drafts, which still contain
the "invizzzzible" text, i.e., what I can see but cannot Find, I cannot
discern any Outline Numbering. I stuck the cursor in what would be
Outline-numbered headings (e.g. "Interrogatory No. 21") but when I checked
Format, Bullets and Numbering, Outline Numbering, the setting was None. I
explained a few other aspects in my response to Klaus.

I know there is a feature to have Word use Automatically Numbered Lists in
Autoformat As You Type. I always keep this feature turned off because it is
positively dangerous in the legal setting, where paragraph numbers in a
responsive pleading are frequently supposed to match the numbering of what
you are answering! In this particular document the paragraphs were not
really sequentially numbered. Interrogatories, Requests for Production and
Requests for Admissions were intermingled. Thus, e.g., Interrogatory 34
might have been followed by Request for Production No. 24, which may have
been followed by Request for Admission No. 15. This could only come from a
certain one of these hallowed United States, but discretion precludes me
from mentioning the name of this Republic. The whole system obviously even
confused its authors, who even got their own numbers totally
confused--repeating some, entirely missing some others.