Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Tom T[_2_] Tom T[_2_] is offline

Default Recurring table entries

Hi all,

I create reports that have several tables in them. One of them recurs
with the same data from 15 to about 50 times (depends on the numbers
of speakers I am reporting on) I usually cut and paste the common data
to each table. Does anyone know how I might speed this process up? Any
suggestions would be appreciated.

TomT
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Greg Maxey[_2_] Greg Maxey[_2_] is offline

Tom

An entire table can be bookmarked and the bookmark used as a reference.
Select the entire table, assign it a bookmark name, then use that name in a
reference field at other locations you need the table to appear.

{ REF "BookmarkName" }

--
Greg Maxey - Word MVP

My web site http://gregmaxey.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 10:13:14 -0800 (PST), Tom T wrote:

Hi all,

I create reports that have several tables in them. One of them recurs
with the same data from 15 to about 50 times (depends on the numbers
of speakers I am reporting on) I usually cut and paste the common data
to each table. Does anyone know how I might speed this process up? Any
suggestions would be appreciated.

TomT

One way is to bookmark the first occurrence, and insert cross-references in the
other places to repeat the contents of the bookmark. When you change the
contents of the bookmark, select the whole document (Ctrl+A) and update the
fields (F9). This has a couple of drawbacks. One is that each cell of the first
table has to be bookmarked individually, and each cell of the other tables has
to have a separate cross-reference to its source bookmark; otherwise the
cross-references will insert nested tables within the table cells of the
destination. Another is that bookmarks are easy to delete by accident while
you're editing the source.

Another possibility is to save the source cells as AutoText entries, and place
AUTOTEXT fields in the other tables. This is a little more work to set up, but
is more stable because the AutoText entries can't be changed accidentally. The
main drawback is that AutoText entries must be stored in a template, not in a
document. Also, you can't edit an entry; if it needs to be changed, you insert
it into a document, edit there, and then "add" the entry with the same name to
overwrite the previous version.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Ned23 Ned23 is offline

You might also be able to use the "Mail Merge" fuction to do this. To do
this you would create a table with the repeating values in it as if it were a
list of addresses and then just paste the merge fields into the document.
When you change the original table, all of the fields in the document will
change.

"Tom T" wrote:

Hi all,

I create reports that have several tables in them. One of them recurs
with the same data from 15 to about 50 times (depends on the numbers
of speakers I am reporting on) I usually cut and paste the common data
to each table. Does anyone know how I might speed this process up? Any
suggestions would be appreciated.

TomT

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Tom T[_2_] Tom T[_2_] is offline

"Tom T" wrote:
Hi all,

I create reports that have several tables in them. One of them recurs
with the same data *from 15 to about 50 times (depends on the numbers
of speakers I am reporting on) I usually cut and paste the common data
to each table. Does anyone know how I might speed this process up? Any
suggestions would be appreciated.

TomT

Thank you for these great suggestions. I will try them out and report
back my results.

Recurring reference GavinS Microsoft Word Help 1 September 4th 08 12:52 PM
Table of Contents - referencing table entries Jenny Microsoft Word Help 1 September 9th 05 04:01 AM
Recurring Text PC Microsoft Word Help 1 June 15th 05 12:04 AM
Duplicate entries in a table Irv Diamond Microsoft Word Help 1 May 29th 05 08:07 PM
Table of Footnotes giving "Error! No table of figures entries found" error? Kevin Walton Tables 2 February 17th 05 09:25 PM