Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
planetthoughtful planetthoughtful is offline

Default Footnoting a footnote in Word 2007?

Hi All,

I assume the answer to this is "You can't", but I'm curious to know if
there is a way in Word 2007 that will allow you to footnote a
footnote?

All the best,

pt
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I don't believe any version of Word would allow this; just add the footnote
to the footnote in the footnote, perhaps inside brackets. What exactly are
you trying to accomplish? If it is a question of a footnote in quoted
material, there are defined ways to handle this.

http://word.mvps.org

"planetthoughtful" wrote in message
Hi All,

I assume the answer to this is "You can't", but I'm curious to know if
there is a way in Word 2007 that will allow you to footnote a
footnote?

All the best,

pt

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

"planetthoughtful" wrote in message

Hi All,

I assume the answer to this is "You can't", but I'm curious to know if
there is a way in Word 2007 that will allow you to footnote a
footnote?

All the best,

pt

Essentially, something like this:

This is a sentence in my main document [1].

[1] This is the first footnote [2].

[2] This is the second footnote.

That's a very simple example, but explains what I mean by wishing to
be able to insert a footnote into a footnote.

It seems strange to me that this is something that even the latest
version of Word isn't able to handle, and I assume there's no plan to
add the ability.

All the best,

pt
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I understand the concept, but you haven't explained *why* you want to
footnote the footnote. My assumptions are that (a) there is a footnote in
the original text you're quoting, or (b) (similarly) you are citing text
that is quoted by another author. There are standard ways to footnote this
type of material. For any other situation, I would suggest that you just add
to [1] whatever you would otherwise put in [2], placing it in parentheses or
brackets.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

On Jan 17, 12:48*pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
[...]

Hi Suzanne,

I don't doubt that there are protocols for how to handle footnotes,
particularly in business or technical documents.

The footnoting I'm trying to achieve comes from fiction writing, and
can be thought of as an aside, and in the circumstances of wishing to
footnote a footnote, an aside to an aside.

If you're familiar with the writing of Terry Pratchett you might have
encountered footnotes in footnotes.

All the best,

pt

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I've seen something similar in David Foster Wallace as well, but you won't
be able to do it with Word's built-in footnote feature. What you can do is
this: Insert footnote 2 in the document immediately following footnote 1.
Format the footnote reference mark as Hidden. Then insert a number in
footnote one formatted the same way as your footnote reference marks (by
applying the Footnote Reference style).

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

On Jan 17, 1:21*pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
[...]

Thanks Suzanne, I'll give that a try.

I realise that it probably seems odd to want to footnote footnotes,
but to me footnotes are very much 'active' content, and therefore
worthy and sometimes demanding of their own asides.

Thanks again,

pt