Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Bill Bill is offline

Default Proper approach for letterhead

If one desires to create letterhead stationary that
can be "typed into", how does one or what does
one create for such purposes? A template? What?

Our otherwise pre-printed letterhead has a logo
on the upper right-hand corner plus horizontal
and vertical lines parallel to and close to all four
edges of a 8.5" x 11" paper and our mailing
address immediately below the logo.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Bill

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Bill Bill is offline

Okay, I created the artwork that is required to satisfy
the requirements of the letterhead template. The header
section of the template is filled with a JPEG image. Then,
a frame was superimposed on the image allowing for easy
variations of text content in the letterhead. Everything looks
fine except that the header section required page margins
that really aren't desirable for the document body. E.g.,
the header section is 8 inches wide while that isn't normally
an appropriate column width for the body of the document.
Is there a way to have different margins for the header than
that of the body?

Bill wrote:
If one desires to create letterhead stationary that
can be "typed into", how does one or what does
one create for such purposes? A template? What?

Our otherwise pre-printed letterhead has a logo
on the upper right-hand corner plus horizontal
and vertical lines parallel to and close to all four
edges of a 8.5" x 11" paper and our mailing
address immediately below the logo.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Bill

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Absolutely. In this case you're talking about the side margins, right? Just
give the header paragraph negative right and left indents in the required
amounts. You can do different top margins, too; see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Letterhead.htm

hlink.net...

Bill wrote:
If one desires to create letterhead stationary that
can be "typed into", how does one or what does
one create for such purposes? A template? What?

Our otherwise pre-printed letterhead has a logo
on the upper right-hand corner plus horizontal
and vertical lines parallel to and close to all four
edges of a 8.5" x 11" paper and our mailing
address immediately below the logo.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Bill

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Bill Bill is offline

Hi Suzanne,

I'd already read your URL, but I don't see how to, as you say,
"Just give the header paragraph negative right and left indents."
As I have it now, the left and right boundaries of the header section
are dictated by whatever is set for the document. In order to
achieve the proper size in the header section in which fits an 8 inch
wide JPEG image, I have to set the page margins to .25 inches
left and right.

I don't see any handles on the header that would allow me to
increase its width beyond the page boundaries.

The only "paragraph" in the header is text that is centered in
a borderless frame superimposed on the image.

Can you explain a bit further for me?

Thanks,
Bill

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Absolutely. In this case you're talking about the side margins, right?
Just
give the header paragraph negative right and left indents in the required
amounts. You can do different top margins, too; see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Letterhead.htm

so
all may benefit.

hlink.net...

Bill wrote:
If one desires to create letterhead stationary that
can be "typed into", how does one or what does
one create for such purposes? A template? What?

Our otherwise pre-printed letterhead has a logo
on the upper right-hand corner plus horizontal
and vertical lines parallel to and close to all four
edges of a 8.5" x 11" paper and our mailing
address immediately below the logo.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Bill

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

Simply drag the margin markers on the ruler, when the header is selected; or
go to Format Paragraph and set the left and right indents explicitly.

"Bill" wrote in message
link.net...
[...]

hlink.net...

Bill wrote:
If one desires to create letterhead stationary that
can be "typed into", how does one or what does
one create for such purposes? A template? What?

Our otherwise pre-printed letterhead has a logo
on the upper right-hand corner plus horizontal
and vertical lines parallel to and close to all four
edges of a 8.5" x 11" paper and our mailing
address immediately below the logo.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Bill

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

If the text is in a frame, then it is not bound by the margins and is not an
issue. But if you want the image to be In Line With Text (not in a frame),
then you need to change the indents of the Header paragraph (which is the
paragraph to which the frame is currently anchored. Displaying nonprinting
characters will help you see the header paragraph (which is a single
paragraph in Header style). As Jezebel says, you can drag the indent markers
on the ruler, or you can right-click and choose Format Paragraph, then enter
negative amounts for the left and right indents in the Paragraph dialog.

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

hlink.net...

Bill wrote:
If one desires to create letterhead stationary that
can be "typed into", how does one or what does
one create for such purposes? A template? What?

Our otherwise pre-printed letterhead has a logo
on the upper right-hand corner plus horizontal
and vertical lines parallel to and close to all four
edges of a 8.5" x 11" paper and our mailing
address immediately below the logo.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Bill

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Bill Bill is offline

When I set the margins for the body, the header section
is affected as well. If I then select the header and drag
the margins the body changes with it. If there's a trick
to changing them independently, I haven't found it yet.
Bill

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

hlink.net...

Bill wrote:
If one desires to create letterhead stationary that
can be "typed into", how does one or what does
one create for such purposes? A template? What?

Our otherwise pre-printed letterhead has a logo
on the upper right-hand corner plus horizontal
and vertical lines parallel to and close to all four
edges of a 8.5" x 11" paper and our mailing
address immediately below the logo.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Bill

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Bill Bill is offline

Though I'd very much like to know how to independently
control margins between the header and body, I solved
my current problem with the exclusive use of frames. I'm
used to using frames in Access, so for me to be able to
stretch the borders of frames to suit myself makes the
whole situation much easier.

Bill

hlink.net...

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

hlink.net...

Bill wrote:
If one desires to create letterhead stationary that
can be "typed into", how does one or what does
one create for such purposes? A template? What?

Our otherwise pre-printed letterhead has a logo
on the upper right-hand corner plus horizontal
and vertical lines parallel to and close to all four
edges of a 8.5" x 11" paper and our mailing
address immediately below the logo.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Bill

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

You don't change the *margins*; you change the indents. Are you doing this
from Format | Paragraph? If using the ruler, see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/UsingRulers.htm for illustrations
showing the difference between the indent markers and the margin markers.

hlink.net...

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

hlink.net...

Bill wrote:
If one desires to create letterhead stationary that
can be "typed into", how does one or what does
one create for such purposes? A template? What?

Our otherwise pre-printed letterhead has a logo
on the upper right-hand corner plus horizontal
and vertical lines parallel to and close to all four
edges of a 8.5" x 11" paper and our mailing
address immediately below the logo.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Bill

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Bill Bill is offline

Okay, I used Format Paragraphs and changed the
indents to minus values. It worked fine for the left
but not for the right. The paragraph in the header
has text that is right-aligned, but the text does not
shift over after I set the right indent. I think you've
told me enough, so I'll play with it some more.
Thanks for all your thoughts and suggestions.
Bill

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
You don't change the *margins*; you change the indents. Are you doing this
from Format | Paragraph? If using the ruler, see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/UsingRulers.htm for illustrations
showing the difference between the indent markers and the margin markers.

so
all may benefit.

hlink.net...

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

hlink.net...

Bill wrote:
If one desires to create letterhead stationary that
can be "typed into", how does one or what does
one create for such purposes? A template? What?

Our otherwise pre-printed letterhead has a logo
on the upper right-hand corner plus horizontal
and vertical lines parallel to and close to all four
edges of a 8.5" x 11" paper and our mailing
address immediately below the logo.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Bill

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

If the text is right-aligned using a right-aligned tab stop, then you have
to drag the tab stop as well.

"Bill" wrote in message
link.net...
Okay, I used Format Paragraphs and changed the
indents to minus values. It worked fine for the left
but not for the right. The paragraph in the header
has text that is right-aligned, but the text does not
shift over after I set the right indent. I think you've
told me enough, so I'll play with it some more.
Thanks for all your thoughts and suggestions.
Bill

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
You don't change the *margins*; you change the indents. Are you doing

this
from Format | Paragraph? If using the ruler, see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/UsingRulers.htm for illustrations
showing the difference between the indent markers and the margin

markers.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

hlink.net...

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

hlink.net...

Bill wrote:
If one desires to create letterhead stationary that
can be "typed into", how does one or what does
one create for such purposes? A template? What?

Our otherwise pre-printed letterhead has a logo
on the upper right-hand corner plus horizontal
and vertical lines parallel to and close to all four
edges of a 8.5" x 11" paper and our mailing
address immediately below the logo.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Bill

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Bill Bill is offline

AH! That explains what I see happening. I think
I'll stick with the use of frames in this instance,
particularly since I have it done and it works
perfectly.

Thanks again,
Bill

\
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
If the text is right-aligned using a right-aligned tab stop, then you have
to drag the tab stop as well.

so
all may benefit.

"Bill" wrote in message
link.net...
Okay, I used Format Paragraphs and changed the
indents to minus values. It worked fine for the left
but not for the right. The paragraph in the header
has text that is right-aligned, but the text does not
shift over after I set the right indent. I think you've
told me enough, so I'll play with it some more.
Thanks for all your thoughts and suggestions.
Bill

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
You don't change the *margins*; you change the indents. Are you doing

this
from Format | Paragraph? If using the ruler, see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/UsingRulers.htm for illustrations
showing the difference between the indent markers and the margin

markers.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

hlink.net...

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

hlink.net...

Bill wrote:
If one desires to create letterhead stationary that
can be "typed into", how does one or what does
one create for such purposes? A template? What?

Our otherwise pre-printed letterhead has a logo
on the upper right-hand corner plus horizontal
and vertical lines parallel to and close to all four
edges of a 8.5" x 11" paper and our mailing
address immediately below the logo.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Bill

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

That particular bit is explained in my article at
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm, I think (though perhaps
in the letterhead one).

"Bill" wrote in message
hlink.net...
AH! That explains what I see happening. I think
I'll stick with the use of frames in this instance,
particularly since I have it done and it works
perfectly.

Thanks again,
Bill

\
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
If the text is right-aligned using a right-aligned tab stop, then you

have
to drag the tab stop as well.

newsgroup
so

[...]

[...]