Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
wiersma7 wiersma7 is offline

Default formatting dates

I have a table that has birthday dates. The info in the table was imported
from Excel with the dates formatted as 'mmmm dd'. However, they imported as
I entered them: mm/dd/yy. I don't want the years to show. How can I format
these dates in my table to reflect only the Birth Date? (rather than going
through each record)
Thanks,
wiersma7

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

If the table was created via a mail merge, you can add a numeric picture
switch to the merge field to constrain the display (see
http://www.gmayor.com/formatting_word_fields.htm). Alternatively, you can
link to Excel using DDE instead of OLE DB, which will preserve the native
Excel formatting.

http://word.mvps.org

"Wiersma7" wrote in message
I have a table that has birthday dates. The info in the table was imported
from Excel with the dates formatted as 'mmmm dd'. However, they imported as
I entered them: mm/dd/yy. I don't want the years to show. How can I format
these dates in my table to reflect only the Birth Date? (rather than going
through each record)
Thanks,
wiersma7

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
wiersma7 wiersma7 is offline

The table has merge fields from an Excel spreadsheet. I understand the
premise of what the [below address: http:
//www.gmayor.com/formatting_word_fields.htm] is about - but I'm not sure how
to incorporate that into my table. Do I add the switch as a field to the
spreadsheet? To the table? That doesn't seem to work. I guess I'm asking if
you can simplify it for me. I would like to change the format of 01/01/09 to
January 1. (btw - I do know how to do it in Excel )

Also, is there way to have a conditional rule (?) to only print the text:
'Birthday:' if there is a date in the date field?
Below is the simple table (obviously I'm making a directory - for my
church):

«Adult1»
Birthday:
«BdayA1»

Cell:
«CellA1»

Email:
«EmailA1»

Anniversary:
«Anniversary»

Thanks very much for your help so far,
wiersma7

"Wiersma7" wrote in message
I have a table that has birthday dates. The info in the table was imported
from Excel with the dates formatted as 'mmmm dd'. However, they imported
as I entered them: mm/dd/yy. I don't want the years to show. How can I
format these dates in my table to reflect only the Birth Date? (rather
than going through each record)
Thanks,
wiersma7

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

You press Alt+F9 to display the field code of your merge field (such as
«BdayA1», which will show { MERGEFIELD BdayA1 }) and add the switch to that
field.

http://word.mvps.org

"Wiersma7" wrote in message
I have a table that has birthday dates. The info in the table was
imported from Excel with the dates formatted as 'mmmm dd'. However, they
imported as I entered them: mm/dd/yy. I don't want the years to show. How
can I format these dates in my table to reflect only the Birth Date?
(rather than going through each record)
Thanks,
wiersma7

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Specifically { MERGEFIELD BdayA1 \@ "MMMM d" }
Press F9 to update the field and ALT+F9 to toggle the display back again.

"Wiersma7" wrote in message
I have a table that has birthday dates. The info in the table was
imported from Excel with the dates formatted as 'mmmm dd'.
However, they imported as I entered them: mm/dd/yy. I don't want
the years to show. How can I format these dates in my table to
reflect only the Birth Date? (rather than going through each
record) Thanks,
wiersma7

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
wiersma7 wiersma7 is offline

Yay! It makes sense now. Thanks so much!

Also, is there way to have a conditional rule (?) to only print the text:
'Birthday:' if there is a date in the date field?
Below is the simple table (obviously I'm making a directory - for my
church):

«Adult1»
Birthday:
«BdayA1»

Cell:
«CellA1»

Email:
«EmailA1»

Anniversary:
«Anniversary»

Thanks so much for all of your help!

"Wiersma7" wrote in message
I have a table that has birthday dates. The info in the table was
imported from Excel with the dates formatted as 'mmmm dd'. However, they
imported as I entered them: mm/dd/yy. I don't want the years to show.
How can I format these dates in my table to reflect only the Birth Date?
(rather than going through each record)
Thanks,
wiersma7

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Yes, you need an IF field for this. Although Word makes it relatively easy
to insert IF fields in merge documents (using the Insert Word Field button),
it makes it quite difficult to actually insert merge fields in them, so it's
usually easier to create them from scratch.

1. Press Ctrl+F9 to insert a field, which will be represented by two braces
around two spaces, with the insertion point in the center.

2. Between the braces type IF, then use the keyboard and the Insert Merge
Field button to create the following field:

{ IF { MERGEFIELD BdayA1 } = "" "" "{ MERGEFIELD BdayA1 }" }

Alternatively, you can use:

{ IF { MERGEFIELD BdayA1 } "" "{ MERGEFIELD BdayA1 }" }

The first tells Word, if the data field is blank, to insert nothing,
otherwise to insert the merge data. The second tells Word to insert the
merge data if the data field is not blank.

http://word.mvps.org

"Wiersma7" wrote in message
I have a table that has birthday dates. The info in the table was
imported from Excel with the dates formatted as 'mmmm dd'. However,
they imported as I entered them: mm/dd/yy. I don't want the years to
show. How can I format these dates in my table to reflect only the
Birth Date? (rather than going through each record)
Thanks,
wiersma7

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
wiersma7 wiersma7 is offline

Actually I want to do this with a non merged cell content. I have 'Kid1' as
a merged field all the way through 'Kid7". That is the largest number of
children in a family of the church. Most families, however, have 1 - 4
children. I need to have the label 'Birthday:' before each birth date of
each child (as well as the adults). What I want to happen is:

1. If I have no data or the adult does not want his/her birthdate
published, I do not want the label 'Birthdate:' to appear before
an empty cell/field.

2. I do not want the label 'Birthdate:' to appear when there is no child
name/birthday field info.

For instance: my table has 3 columns:
John Birthdate: January 1
Sally Birthdate: February 1
Kid3 Birthdate:
Kid4 Birthdate:
Kid5 Birthdate:
Kid6 Birthdate:
Kid7 Birthdate:

The Kid3 - 7 fields will be blank because they only have 2 kids. The
Birthday fields will be blank for same reason. The text/label 'Birthdate:'
however is static. I need the label/text to disappear.

I tried putting { IF { MERGEFIELD BdaykK3 } = "" ""} in the 'Birthdate:'
cell, but all I get is MERGEFIELD.

Is this a possibility or am I going to have to do it manually? (really need
a database, I know - but not in budget right now).
Thanks for even taking the time to figure out what I just typed

"Wiersma7" wrote in message
I have a table that has birthday dates. The info in the table was
imported from Excel with the dates formatted as 'mmmm dd'. However,
they imported as I entered them: mm/dd/yy. I don't want the years to
show. How can I format these dates in my table to reflect only the
Birth Date? (rather than going through each record)
Thanks,
wiersma7

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Okay, in this case you want these fields across the table (the numbers are
the cells):

1. { IF { MERGEFIELD Kid1 } "" { MERGEFIELD Kid1 } }

2. { IF { MERGEFIELD Kid1 } "" "Birthdate:" }

3. { IF { MERGEFIELD Kid1 } "" { MERGEFIELD BdaykK1 } }

It sounds as if you may not need the IF fields in (1) and (3), but you
definitely would for (2). You would then repeat these three cells for each
Kid row. Each field (pair of braces) must be inserted using Ctrl+F9 with the
exception that you can use the Insert Merge Fields button to insert the
merge fields if you like.

http://word.mvps.org

"Wiersma7" wrote in message
I have a table that has birthday dates. The info in the table was
imported from Excel with the dates formatted as 'mmmm dd'. However,
they imported as I entered them: mm/dd/yy. I don't want the years to
show. How can I format these dates in my table to reflect only the
Birth Date? (rather than going through each record)
Thanks,
wiersma7

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You haven't said how you know whether the adults want their birthdate
withheld, but essentially that second column should have a series of
conditional fields. The following will insert the text Birthdate : in the
second column when the birthday field is not empty. Obviously nothing is
printed in columns one or two when the fields in them are empty.

Column 2
{IF {Mergefield Adult1Bday} "" "Birthdate: "}
{IF {Mergefield Adult2Bday} "" "Birthdate: "}
{IF {Mergefield Kid1Bday} "" "Birthdate: "}
{IF {Mergefield Kid2Bday} "" "Birthdate: "}
{IF {Mergefield Kid3Bday} "" "Birthdate: "}
{IF {Mergefield Kid4Bday} "" "Birthdate: "}
{IF {Mergefield Kid5Bday} "" "Birthdate: "}
{IF {Mergefield Kid6Bday} "" "Birthdate: "}
{IF {Mergefield Kid7Bday} "" "Birthdate: "}

If however you have a second field that logs whether the adult birthdays,
though present in the data, are to be withheld then you need for the first
two rows in

Column 2
{ IF{ Mergefield Adult1Bday } "" "{ IF{ Mergefield Adult1HideBday } = "
" "Birthdate: " "" }" ""}
{ IF{ Mergefield Adult2Bday } "" "{ IF{ Mergefield Adult2HideBday } = "
" "Birthdate: " "" }" ""}

Column 3
{ IF{ Mergefield Adult1HideBday } " " "{ Mergefield Adult1Bday }" }
{ IF{ Mergefield Adult2HideBday } " " "{ Mergefield Adult2Bday }" }

All fieldnames should reflect the actual field names. The { Mergefield
Adult1HideBday } and { Mergefield Adult2HideBday } are expected to have no
content when the adult does not mind the birthdate being shown - change the
condition as appropriate. Spaces and quotes are as shown. The bracket pairs
{} are all placed with CTRL+F9

"Wiersma7" wrote in message
I have a table that has birthday dates. The info in the table
was imported from Excel with the dates formatted as 'mmmm dd'.
However, they imported as I entered them: mm/dd/yy. I don't
want the years to show. How can I format these dates in my
table to reflect only the Birth Date? (rather than going
through each record) Thanks,
wiersma7

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
wiersma7[_2_] wiersma7[_2_] is offline

The equation makes sense to me, but when I put it in the Column 2 cell the
return is the equation. Am I missing something on how to place this?
I'm new at doing this in Word (not Excel) so I'm wondering if there's a step
I'm not aware of. I put the exact equation in, except changed the fields to
match my fields (BdayA1, BdayA2, BdayK1, etc.) so for instance:

Column 1 Column 2
Column 3

«Kid1» {IF {Mergefield BdayK1} "" "Birthdate: "}
«BdayK1»
«Adult1» {IF {Mergefield BdayA1} "" "Birthdate: "}
«BdayA1»
«Adult2» {IF {Mergefield BdayA2} "" "Birthdate: "}
«BdayA2»
«Kid1» {IF {Mergefield BdayK1} "" "Birthdate: "}
«BdayK1»
«Kid2» {IF {Mergefield BdayK2} "" "Birthdate: "}
«BdayK2»
«Kid3» {IF {Mergefield BdayK3} "" "Birthdate: "}
«BdayK3»
«Kid4» {IF {Mergefield BdayK4} "" "Birthdate: "}
«BdayK4»
«Kid5» {IF {Mergefield BdayK5} "" "Birthdate: "}
«BdayK5»
«Kid6» {IF {Mergefield BdayK6} "" "Birthdate: "}
«BdayK6»
«Kid7» {IF {Mergefield BdayK7} "" "Birthdate: "}
«BdayK7»

This is what merges:

*George {IF {Mergefield BdayA1} "" "Birthdate: "}
September 24
Martha {IF {Mergefield BdayA2} "" "Birthdate: "}
June 05
Christopher {IF {Mergefield BdayK1} "" "Birthdate: "}
June 02
Daniel {IF {Mergefield BdayK2} "" "Birthdate: "}
March 07
Jesse {IF {Mergefield BdayK3} "" "Birthdate: "}
March 07 (twins)
{IF {Mergefield BdayK4} "" "Birthdate: "}
{IF {Mergefield BdayK5} "" "Birthdate: "}
{IF {Mergefield BdayK6} "" "Birthdate: "}
{IF {Mergefield BdayK7} "" "Birthdate: "}

*names are changed to protect the innocent

Wiersma7

"Wiersma7" wrote in message
I have a table that has birthday dates. The info in the table
was imported from Excel with the dates formatted as 'mmmm dd'.
However, they imported as I entered them: mm/dd/yy. I don't
want the years to show. How can I format these dates in my
table to reflect only the Birth Date? (rather than going
through each record) Thanks,
wiersma7

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

You did insert {Mergefield BdayK1} and the rest using Ctrl+F9 or Insert
Merge Field?

http://word.mvps.org

"wiersma7" wrote in message
[...]

"}

"Wiersma7" wrote in message
I have a table that has birthday dates. The info in the table
was imported from Excel with the dates formatted as 'mmmm dd'.
However, they imported as I entered them: mm/dd/yy. I don't
want the years to show. How can I format these dates in my
table to reflect only the Birth Date? (rather than going
through each record) Thanks,
wiersma7

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
wiersma7 wiersma7 is offline

Sorry, I've been on vacation (yay me)

Yes, I think I did. First I pressed Ctrl+F9, then typed in the rest. I know
I'm missing something here, but I can't see what it is.

I know I'm being a pain in the neck about this...by the same token I need to
insert a phone number with the format:
(###) ###-####. What characters do I use for this? I assume I do it the same
way as formating a date...?
{Mergefield CellA1 \@ "(___) ___-____"}

You guys have been so great! Thanks,

"Wiersma7" wrote in message
I have a table that has birthday dates. The info in the table
was imported from Excel with the dates formatted as 'mmmm dd'.
However, they imported as I entered them: mm/dd/yy. I don't
want the years to show. How can I format these dates in my
table to reflect only the Birth Date? (rather than going
through each record) Thanks,
wiersma7

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
wiersma7 wiersma7 is offline

Okay will try again I think I only did the first bracket.

I know I'm being a pain in the neck about this...by the same token I need
to insert a phone number with the format:
(###) ###-####. What characters do I use for this?
I assume I do it the same way as formating a date...?
{Mergefield CellA1 \@ "(___) ___-____"}

Thanks again,

"wiersma7" wrote in message
[...]

{IF {Mergefield BdayK4} ""
"Birthdate: "}
{IF {Mergefield BdayK5} ""
"Birthdate: "}
{IF {Mergefield BdayK6} ""
"Birthdate: "}
{IF {Mergefield BdayK7} ""
"Birthdate: "}

"Wiersma7" wrote in message
I have a table that has birthday dates. The info in the table
was imported from Excel with the dates formatted as 'mmmm dd'.
However, they imported as I entered them: mm/dd/yy. I don't
want the years to show. How can I format these dates in my
table to reflect only the Birth Date? (rather than going
through each record) Thanks,
wiersma7

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Actually no! \@ is for date and time formats. You need
{Mergefield CellA1 \# "(000) 000'-'0000" }
See http://www.gmayor.com/formatting_word_fields.htm which explains most of
what you will ever need to know about switches.

"Wiersma7" wrote in message
I have a table that has birthday dates. The info in the
table was imported from Excel with the dates formatted as
'mmmm dd'. However, they imported as I entered them:
mm/dd/yy. I don't want the years to show. How can I
format these dates in my table to reflect only the Birth
Date? (rather than going through each record) Thanks,
wiersma7

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
wiersma7 wiersma7 is offline

Yay! "Birthday:" disappears when I want it to Thanks for your help - and
patience.

As for formatting the Cell number, I get a return of (-000) 000-8763.

After I ctrl f9 I typed, from what I can tell, exactly how you have it
below: {Mergefield CellA1 \# "(000) 000'-'0000" }. I don't see anything on
your website (or MS's) that tells me what I'm doing wrong or ...whatever.
Can you help me out one last time?

"Wiersma7" wrote in message
I have a table that has birthday dates. The info in the
table was imported from Excel with the dates formatted as
'mmmm dd'. However, they imported as I entered them:
mm/dd/yy. I don't want the years to show. How can I
format these dates in my table to reflect only the Birth
Date? (rather than going through each record) Thanks,
wiersma7

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

What does {Mergefield CellA1} without the switch produce? If it does not
produce a 10 digit number :-
From the Tools menu in Word, select Options and then go to the General tab
and check the box against the "Confirm conversions at open" item. (In Word
2007 it is Office Button Word Options Advanced General Confirm file
format conversion on open). Then when you attach the data source to the mail
merge main document, you will be given the option of using the DDE method of
connection which should read the data as you have it formatted in the table.

"Wiersma7" wrote in message
[...]

-- Suzanne S. Barnhill
http://word.mvps.org