amyallyaustin

Default uncapitalization

how can i uncapitalize the first letter in a sentance
Jay Freedman

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 16:47:02 -0800, "amyallyaustin"
wrote:

how can i uncapitalize the first letter in a sentance

The easiest way is to select the capital letter and type the lower
case letter in its place.

If you want to prevent the automatic capitalization, go to Tools
AutoCorrect Options and uncheck "Capitalize first letter of
sentences". Or if you just want to reverse the autocorrect
occasionally, press Ctrl+Z or click Undo as soon as it happens. Or, in
later versions of Word, hover the mouse over the little blue box under
the capital letter until it expands into an AutoCorrect Options
button, click it, and select the option you want.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Jim Henderson

Is there a way to tell word to uncapitalize the "small" words in a title?
The "Change Case/Title Case" function seems pretty useless to me because it
capitalizes every word in a title including "And", "Or", "Of" when they are
part of a Title. How can I get Word to capitalize only the words that would
appear capitalized in the normal way a title is capitalized? Example: "the
cat in the hat" becomes "The Cat In The Hat" and then Word immediately flags
the word "In" as an error to be replaced with "in".

Jim Henderson

wrote:

how can i uncapitalize the first letter in a sentance

The easiest way is to select the capital letter and type the lower
case letter in its place.

If you want to prevent the automatic capitalization, go to Tools
AutoCorrect Options and uncheck "Capitalize first letter of
sentences". Or if you just want to reverse the autocorrect
occasionally, press Ctrl+Z or click Undo as soon as it happens. Or, in
later versions of Word, hover the mouse over the little blue box under
the capital letter until it expands into an AutoCorrect Options
button, click it, and select the option you want.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Greg Maxey

Jim,

Select cat in the hat and run the following macro. You can cut or words to
alter as you like:

Sub TitleCaseWithLowerCase()

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

'Capitalize all words in selection
Selection.FormattedText.Case = wdTitleWord

'Uncapitalize the listed words
Selection.Find.ClearFormatting
Selection.Find.Replacement.ClearFormatting

Call DoTitleCase("The ")
Call DoTitleCase("Of ")
Call DoTitleCase("And ")
Call DoTitleCase("Or ")
Call DoTitleCase("But ")
Call DoTitleCase("A ")
Call DoTitleCase("An ")
Call DoTitleCase("To ")
Call DoTitleCase("In ")
Call DoTitleCase("With ")
Call DoTitleCase("From ")
Call DoTitleCase("By ")
Call DoTitleCase("Out ")
Call DoTitleCase("That ")
Call DoTitleCase("This ")
Call DoTitleCase("For ")
Call DoTitleCase("Against ")
Call DoTitleCase("About ")
Call DoTitleCase("Between ")
Call DoTitleCase("Under ")
Call DoTitleCase("On ")
Call DoTitleCase("Up ")
Call DoTitleCase("Into ")

'Uncomment the next line if you want the selection dismissed.
'Selection.Collapse wdCollapseStart

're-capitalize first word in title
Selection.Characters(1).Case = wdUpperCase

End Sub
Sub DoTitleCase(FindText As String)
'This procedure is called from TitleCaseWithLowerCase above

Dim r As Range
Set r = Selection.Range

With Selection.Find
..ClearFormatting
..Text = FindText
..Replacement.Text = "^&"
..Forward = True
..Wrap = wdFindStop
..MatchCase = True
..MatchWholeWord = True

Do While .Execute
Selection.FormattedText.Case = wdLowerCase
r.Select
Loop
End With
r.Select

End Sub

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
A Peer in Peer to Peer Support

wrote:

how can i uncapitalize the first letter in a sentance

The easiest way is to select the capital letter and type the lower
case letter in its place.

If you want to prevent the automatic capitalization, go to Tools
AutoCorrect Options and uncheck "Capitalize first letter of
sentences". Or if you just want to reverse the autocorrect
occasionally, press Ctrl+Z or click Undo as soon as it happens. Or,
in later versions of Word, hover the mouse over the little blue box
under
the capital letter until it expands into an AutoCorrect Options
button, click it, and select the option you want.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Greg Maxey

Jim,

Yes. I am simply passing it on. I have know idea what MS plans for the
future, but this would be a nice feature.

--

wrote:

how can i uncapitalize the first letter in a sentance

The easiest way is to select the capital letter and type the lower
case letter in its place.

If you want to prevent the automatic capitalization, go to Tools
AutoCorrect Options and uncheck "Capitalize first letter of
sentences". Or if you just want to reverse the autocorrect
occasionally, press Ctrl+Z or click Undo as soon as it happens. Or,
in later versions of Word, hover the mouse over the little blue box
under
the capital letter until it expands into an AutoCorrect Options
button, click it, and select the option you want.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

TF

Jim

There is a standard for Title Case and it specifically excludes the
capitalisation of prepositions unless it is the first word in the sentence.
So the algorithm that MS uses for Title Case is wrong. MS is well aware of
the shortcoming in Title Case, but I don't know what priority the bug has or
whether they intend to repair it.

Terry Farrell

"Jim Henderson" wrote in message
: Thanks...what a macro. I guess I'm not the first person to ask this
: question. Do you think Microsoft will build this code into the software
: some day?
:
: Jim H.
:
: "Greg Maxey" wrote in message
: ...
: Jim,
:
: Select cat in the hat and run the following macro. You can cut or words
: alter as you like:
:
[...]
: --
: wrote:
:
: how can i uncapitalize the first letter in a sentance
:
: The easiest way is to select the capital letter and type the lower
: case letter in its place.
:
: If you want to prevent the automatic capitalization, go to Tools
: AutoCorrect Options and uncheck "Capitalize first letter of
: sentences". Or if you just want to reverse the autocorrect
: occasionally, press Ctrl+Z or click Undo as soon as it happens. Or,
: in later versions of Word, hover the mouse over the little blue box
: under
: the capital letter until it expands into an AutoCorrect Options
: button, click it, and select the option you want.
:
: --
: Regards,
: Jay Freedman