davidb

Default Paragraph numbering

I am editing several MS Word docs created by someone else. The first line in
the file is a Heading1 paragraph that is numbered. Al the files use the this
paragraph to number the files 1-10. When I opened the second file the
Heading1 number was 1 instead of the number 2. I clicked on Format Bullets
and NumberingCustomize and changed the starting number to 2. It worked and
also changed the page numbering in the file to 2-(page number). I saved the
file and later reopened it and the number changed back to 1. What is causing
the format to be cleared back to 1? I checked several other files. Four of
the 10 files have the same problem. Some files return to 1, but some of the
other files do not. Is there an option setting that is causing this?
--
Thank you,
Davidb