Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Dennis Hughes Dennis Hughes is offline

Default Mail Merge Labels in Word 2007

I loaded Office 2007 and am trying to do a mail merge to labels using the
step by step commands.

All goes normally until I get to "update all labels". Only the top labels
in each column are "replicated".

I end up with the two top labels on each page, but many pages.

Is this a bug or am I missing something?

I'm running Vista and using Avery US 5162.

Thanks,

Dennis

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Are you using a Tablet PC?

If so, see the Knowledge Base article at:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/898630

A workaround for the problem is included.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Dennis Hughes" wrote in message
I loaded Office 2007 and am trying to do a mail merge to labels using the
step by step commands.

All goes normally until I get to "update all labels". Only the top labels
in each column are "replicated".

I end up with the two top labels on each page, but many pages.

Is this a bug or am I missing something?

I'm running Vista and using Avery US 5162.

Thanks,

Dennis

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Dennis Hughes Dennis Hughes is offline

I'm using a new Dell, normal size. I also tried Mailmerge using the normal
way, not the step by step, and the same result.

The computer is up to date with the Microsoft updates.

Thanks,

Dennis

Are you using a Tablet PC?

If so, see the Knowledge Base article at:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/898630

A workaround for the problem is included.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Dennis Hughes" wrote in message
I loaded Office 2007 and am trying to do a mail merge to labels using the
step by step commands.

All goes normally until I get to "update all labels". Only the top
labels in each column are "replicated".

I end up with the two top labels on each page, but many pages.

Is this a bug or am I missing something?

I'm running Vista and using Avery US 5162.

Thanks,

Dennis

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

I assume that you are using the Update Labels button in the Write & Insert
Fields chunk of the Mailings tab that appears when a mail merge main
document is active.

It certainly works here on a Dell Latitude D610, running Word 2007 under
Windows XP SP2.

I guess there is a possibility that Vista has introduced a new wrinkle, but
before I try and escalate the problem, can you report back and confirm that
what you are doing is what I have described above. Also, please advise the
exact hardware specification.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Dennis Hughes Dennis Hughes is offline

Doug,

I'm using a Dell Dimension DXP061 2.4GHZ Intel dual cord, 4 GB RAM, Vista
home premium, & Office 2007.
I don't understand this line but it save "Tablet PC functionality:
Available"

There are the steps I am taking:
Open MS word
Mailings
Start Mail Merge
Labels
Avery USLetter 5162
Select Recip
Use existing list
Select an xls file
Select Sheet 1$
[Now the next records appear on the screen, two columns, 7 rows]
Edit recip List
Insert Merge Field (in upper left label)
Insert First Name Last Name
Address
City, State Zip
Update Labels
Only the top row and the bottom row are updated, rows 2-6 have only the
"next record"
Preview Document (same results)
Finish the merge (Only rows 1 & 7 have the info in them)

I have an XP machine with Office 2003 and it merges the same xls file
normally.

Hope this helps,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for posting back with the details.

I think that it might be the "Tablet PC functionality: Available" that is
causing the issue as with a "regular" Tablet PC and that as a result, you
may need to use the work-around that is given in the Knowledge Base article
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Dennis Hughes Dennis Hughes is offline

I'll get with Dell to figure out what's going on with the tables
functionality & report back. I've got a full size normal desktop.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Hi Dennis,

If you run the following macro after setting up the first label (instead of
using the Update Labels button, it should propogate the setup of the first
label to the other labels on the sheet:

Sub MailMergePropagateLabel()

Dim atable As Table
Dim i As Long, j As Long
Dim source As Range, target As Range
Set atable = ActiveDocument.Tables(1)
Set source = atable.Cell(1, 1).Range
source.End = source.End - 2
For j = 2 To atable.Columns.Count
Set target = atable.Cell(1, j).Range
If target.Fields.Count 0 Then
target.End = target.End - 2
target.InsertAfter source
End If
Next j
For i = 2 To atable.Rows.Count
For j = 1 To atable.Columns.Count
Set target = atable.Cell(i, j).Range
If target.Fields.Count 0 Then
target.End = target.End - 2
target.InsertAfter source
End If
Next j
Next i

End Sub

If the macro is created in a template that is saved in the Word Startup
folder, it will then run when the Update Labels button is used.
--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Dennis Hughes" wrote in message
link.net...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

The macro in the above post does NOT do the trick. The following one does
however:

Sub MailMergePropagateLabel()

Dim atable As Table
Dim i As Long, j As Long
Dim source As Cell, target As Cell
Dim myrange As Range
Set atable = ActiveDocument.Tables(1)
Set source = atable.Cell(1, 1)
Set myrange = source.Range
myrange.Collapse wdCollapseStart
ActiveDocument.Fields.Add Range:=myrange, Text:="Next"
source.Range.Copy
For j = 2 To atable.Columns.Count
Set target = atable.Cell(1, j)
If target.Range.Fields.Count 0 Then
target.Range.Paste
End If
Next j
For i = 2 To atable.Rows.Count
For j = 1 To atable.Columns.Count
Set target = atable.Cell(i, j)
If target.Range.Fields.Count 0 Then
target.Range.Paste
End If
Next j
Next i
atable.Cell(1, 1).Range.Fields(1).Delete

End Sub

--
[...]

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of
my