Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Templatress

Default Our teacher wont let us use templates? Are they problematic?

Im a new student learning the Office systems.

Our teacher tells us not to use templates. Always start from scratch and
compose your own letter .

Anybody out there who has problems with templates or do they find them
reliable.

Its seems to me they would be a lot quicker.

Just throwing this out there to get some opionions - pro and/or con
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Charles Kenyon

Is your teacher trying to teach you to use Word or to think and write?

If the latter, he/she is correct. You need to learn to write your own
letters.

Templates and form letters are fine for businesses that are always trying to
send a consistent message in response to a consistently occurring situation.

I use templates for most of my work and correspondence, but they are
templates that I designed and wrote, not something I downloaded off the
Internet. http://addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Templatress" wrote in message
Im a new student learning the Office systems.

Our teacher tells us not to use templates. Always start from scratch and
compose your own letter .

Anybody out there who has problems with templates or do they find them
reliable.

Its seems to me they would be a lot quicker.

Just throwing this out there to get some opionions - pro and/or con

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

They may be quicker but if you're learning the program, quicker is not the
best way. Another reason not to use templates is creativity. I work in an
office where we often get resumes. Care to guess how many of them are based
on templates I've seen in Word?

Dare to be different! Start from scratch.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Templatress" wrote in message
Im a new student learning the Office systems.

Our teacher tells us not to use templates. Always start from scratch and
compose your own letter .

Anybody out there who has problems with templates or do they find them
reliable.

Its seems to me they would be a lot quicker.

Just throwing this out there to get some opionions - pro and/or con

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Greg

Since your teacher is apparently trying to teach you to use Office
systems (that is an assumption based on what you say that you are
trying to learn), your teacher should at least strive to be technically
correct.

You can't use Word without using a template. Even if that template
doesn't contain any text.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

Good point. Normal.dot *is* a template.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Greg" wrote in message
oups.com...
Since your teacher is apparently trying to teach you to use Office
systems (that is an assumption based on what you say that you are
trying to learn), your teacher should at least strive to be technically
correct.

You can't use Word without using a template. Even if that template
doesn't contain any text.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

My answer explained it. The fact that you didn't understand my response is
exactly why your teacher wants you to learn how to use Word from scratch.

mom mode on
Study hard - get good grades! And go to bed.
mom mode off
--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Greg" wrote:

Since your teacher is apparently trying to teach you to use Office
systems (that is an assumption based on what you say that you are
trying to learn), your teacher should at least strive to be technically
correct.

You can't use Word without using a template. Even if that template
doesn't contain any text.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Greg Maxey

Templatress,

Teachers like yours (the ones that don't know what they are talking about)
are the kind I really don't like.

You cannot create a document in Word without using a template. When you open
Word and you see that "Document 1 - Microsoft Word" up on the title bar,
that is "Document 1" based on a Word template named "Normal.dot."

Your teacher would probably be more effective at "learning" you ;-), if
he/she would learn you to create a custom template to meet your general or
specific requirements.

Greg Maxey/Word MVP
See:
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/word_tips.htm
For some helpful tips using Word.

Templatress wrote:
How so?

"Greg" wrote:

Since your teacher is apparently trying to teach you to use Office
systems (that is an assumption based on what you say that you are
trying to learn), your teacher should at least strive to be
technically correct.

You can't use Word without using a template. Even if that template
doesn't contain any text.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Shahnoor

I have a host of templates I have created myself for the work I do and I find
them, as well as the excellent ones from the Microsoft site, invaluable.

I do agree with your teacher--it is important to learn the correct method
for formatting/setting up documents. Once this has been learned though, I
would encourage the use of templates.

--
--ST

"Templatress" wrote:

Im a new student learning the Office systems.

Our teacher tells us not to use templates. Always start from scratch and
compose your own letter .

Anybody out there who has problems with templates or do they find them
reliable.

Its seems to me they would be a lot quicker.

Just throwing this out there to get some opionions - pro and/or con

Mail Merge Templates from Multiple Templates Programmatically BP Mailmerge 1 April 7th 06 02:50 PM
Accessing Templates in Word 2002 Joe McGuire Microsoft Word Help 5 November 22nd 05 01:29 AM
Normal.dot Issue PA New Users 7 August 7th 05 04:40 PM
Get 'Workgroup Templates' to show up in 'New Document' Task Pane? Brian In Phoenix Microsoft Word Help 3 July 15th 05 04:01 AM
Templates in too many languages. Only need English. capt_dalton Microsoft Word Help 0 December 2nd 04 10:29 PM