Ross Payne

Default Section Pages

In my four-section document (Word 2003), in the fourth section, I have a
footer in which I want to have Page x of y (the section has 2 pages). So I
insert in the footer a field code for the page number and a field code for
the number of pages in the section, but what I get is this: Page 28 of 2.
Any ideas on what went wrong? Thanks,

Ross Payne

Jay Freedman

Ross Payne wrote:
In my four-section document (Word 2003), in the fourth section, I
have a footer in which I want to have Page x of y (the section has 2
pages). So I insert in the footer a field code for the page number
and a field code for the number of pages in the section, but what I
get is this: Page 28 of 2. Any ideas on what went wrong? Thanks,

Ross Payne

Hi Ross,

Nothing went wrong from Word's point of view -- it did exactly what you
asked for. If there are two pages in the section, then the result of the
SectionPages field will be 2.

Probably you want a Pages field, which returns the total number of pages in
the document. This doesn't play well when you restart page numbering at some
point after the first page, although there are ways around that.

Or is your problem with the 28 instead of the 2? If so, you can restart the
page numbering so the last section begins with 1 again -- use the Page
Number Format button on the Header/Footer toolbar to get into that dialog.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman