Jen

Default Check Box Form Field

I am trying to create a document for a Child Safety Seat Checklist. It is a
form that only I am going to see in computer form, the people I am sharing
it with are going to see it in paper form. I'd like to use the Check Box
Form Field to make it neat, but the ability to use it is grayed out. I
checked here online to see what I can do and the only advise given is the
"protected form"... so I tried it. However, that option is greyed out as
well, leaving me where I currently am...

Ask you all for help!!
garfield-n-odie

See http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/add_check_boxes.htm and
http://www.addbalance.com/word/downl...#CheckboxAddIn for
several different ways to make checkboxes. Not all of these ways
require a protected form.

Jen wrote:

I am trying to create a document for a Child Safety Seat Checklist. It is a
form that only I am going to see in computer form, the people I am sharing
it with are going to see it in paper form. I'd like to use the Check Box
Form Field to make it neat, but the ability to use it is grayed out. I
checked here online to see what I can do and the only advise given is the
"protected form"... so I tried it. However, that option is greyed out as
well, leaving me where I currently am...

Ask you all for help!!

Jay Freedman

A simpler solution, for printing on paper only, is to insert a box
character.

With the cursor at the location where you want the check box, first change
the font to Wingdings 2. Then turn on the NumLock key, hold down the Alt
key, and type the number 0163 on the number pad.

You can copy that box and paste it elsewhere, or you can make an AutoText
entry by selecting it and pressing Alt+F3.

If you want a box with a checkmark in it, type the letter R and format it in
Wingdings 2. Similarly, the letters S and T in Wingdings 2 become boxes with
Xs in them.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"garfield-n-odie" wrote:

See http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/add_check_boxes.htm and
http://www.addbalance.com/word/downl...#CheckboxAddIn for
several different ways to make checkboxes. Not all of these ways
require a protected form.

Cynthia

First of all, you need to have your FORMS toolbar visible - I keep mine
docked to the toolbar at all times since I use it all the time.

Not sure what your settings are - what version of Word are you using?

If your form is going to be filled out from a hard copy, you can insert a
box shape from the INSERT / SYMBOL option - look through WiNGDINGS or
another graphic font - you will see a BOX shape and you can insert it into
your document that way.

If it is a form that will be filled out on the computer, you need to insert
the box from the FORMS toolbar and once you have your form fields in place
you click ont he little PADDLELOOK icon to protect / lock it. Best to set
up as a template and then when you open a new document based on that
template you can save that document by an appropriate and recognizable name.
Make sense?
I am trying to create a document for a Child Safety Seat Checklist. It is a
form that only I am going to see in computer form, the people I am sharing
it with are going to see it in paper form. I'd like to use the Check Box
Form Field to make it neat, but the ability to use it is grayed out. I
checked here online to see what I can do and the only advise given is the
"protected form"... so I tried it. However, that option is greyed out as
well, leaving me where I currently am...

Ask you all for help!!

Cynthia

what do you mean by "download things"? If you go to a web site link, that
should not be a problem, and if it is a work-related thing, you can always
speak to your supervisor and/or LAN administrator about what you need to do
that is work-related. When I worked at ECG Management, I got permissions
from the supervisor and the LAN Administrator to do certain work-related
things over the Internet, and this included getting necessary files that
would allow me to do specific functions that were job-related. Just a
thought.

"garfield-n-odie" wrote:

See http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/add_check_boxes.htm and
http://www.addbalance.com/word/downl...#CheckboxAddIn for
several different ways to make checkboxes. Not all of these ways
require a protected form.

Jen

First of all, you need to have your FORMS toolbar visible - I keep mine
docked to the toolbar at all times since I use it all the time.

And I do have it visible.

Not sure what your settings are - what version of Word are you using?

Word 2000.

If your form is going to be filled out from a hard copy, you can insert a
box shape from the INSERT / SYMBOL option - look through WiNGDINGS or
another graphic font - you will see a BOX shape and you can insert it into
your document that way.

That's what another reply said and I am going to try it.

If it is a form that will be filled out on the computer, you need to insert
the box from the FORMS toolbar and once you have your form fields in place
you click ont he little PADDLELOOK icon to protect / lock it. Best to set
up as a template and then when you open a new document based on that
template you can save that document by an appropriate and recognizable name.
Make sense?

Only I am going to have it on computer form, everyone is going to have it on
paper form. But I think the biggest problem which I didn't tell people
because I didn't think it mattered was that it I was trying to set the check
box in a text box.....