Soloman10

Default formatting symbols, etc. appear

I've used MS Word 97 for some time now. Just recently when I open any saved
Word document, paragraph symbols, dots between words and page breaks are
visible where before they were not there. When I click on the "Print Preview"
the document appears without the symbols which is the way I would like the
document to appear when I am creating it.

Any help would be greatly greately appreciated. MS will not help and I am on
a fixed income and cannot afford to purchase upgrades as they suggest.
Thanks much . . .
Luc

Soloman10,
On the standard toolbar there should be an icon with a black paragraph sign
on it (show & hide button), click on it and you will toggle between showing
formatting marks and hiding them.
Luc
"Soloman10" schreef in bericht
I've used MS Word 97 for some time now. Just recently when I open any
saved
Word document, paragraph symbols, dots between words and page breaks are
visible where before they were not there. When I click on the "Print
Preview"
the document appears without the symbols which is the way I would like the
document to appear when I am creating it.

Any help would be greatly greately appreciated. MS will not help and I am
on
a fixed income and cannot afford to purchase upgrades as they suggest.
Thanks much . . .

Jay Freedman

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 09:55:03 -0700, Soloman10
wrote:

I've used MS Word 97 for some time now. Just recently when I open any saved
Word document, paragraph symbols, dots between words and page breaks are
visible where before they were not there. When I click on the "Print Preview"
the document appears without the symbols which is the way I would like the
document to appear when I am creating it.

Any help would be greatly greately appreciated. MS will not help and I am on
a fixed income and cannot afford to purchase upgrades as they suggest.
Thanks much . . .

Press the ¶ button on the toolbar to turn it off. The keyboard
shortcut for it is Ctrl+Shift+8. Both of these are "toggles" -- each
time you press it, it turns the symbols on or off.

See http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...PrintChars.htm for
more information, including why you might occasionally want to see
those symbols.

You don't need an upgrade for this. :-)

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
rebz rebz is offline

when working with word you can select to view symbols or not. So go to
tools, options and you will see the print tab, this is where you will decide
what and how you want to print your documents.

"Soloman10" wrote:

I've used MS Word 97 for some time now. Just recently when I open any saved
Word document, paragraph symbols, dots between words and page breaks are
visible where before they were not there. When I click on the "Print Preview"
the document appears without the symbols which is the way I would like the
document to appear when I am creating it.

Any help would be greatly greately appreciated. MS will not help and I am on
a fixed income and cannot afford to purchase upgrades as they suggest.
Thanks much . . .

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

The View tab controls the display. The Print tab controls what prints; while
you can choose to print or not print Hidden text and field codes, there is
no way to print nonprinting characters (such as paragraph marks), which is
what the OP was asking about.