NZJen

Default Header and Footer toolbar in Word 2002

When I am inserting headers and footers in a Word document I don't get the
Header & Footer TOOLBAR. The only thing that appears is the header area of
the document or the footer area, WITHOUT the toolbar, which I usually use for
inserting page numbers, breaking the links between sections etc. HELP????
Jacob_F_Roecker

NZJen:

I've only got the quick fix. That's a good question. To get you buy for
now go to VIEW TOOLBARS then AUTOTEXT. This will let you get your autotext
in the headers/footers.

I can't imagine why it's not automatically coming up. It's designed to.
Make sure you look around sometimes another computer user (my four year old)
may have moved it to someplace where it's hiding within the window.

Good Luck!

"NZJen" wrote:

When I am inserting headers and footers in a Word document I don't get the
Header & Footer TOOLBAR. The only thing that appears is the header area of
the document or the footer area, WITHOUT the toolbar, which I usually use for
inserting page numbers, breaking the links between sections etc. HELP????

NZJen

Thanks for that Jacob. Unfortunately it only partly solves the problem
because I really need the complete H/F toolbar. I am an IT trainer and use
H/F's with my trainees and use the H/F toolbar a lot, especially to show how
to break the link between Same As Previous etc! Luckily this is only
happening with my home computer so fa. I am the only one using this computer
so have no idea why all of a sudden this particular toolbar is not working!
Another thing I've tried is going into View/Toolbars/Customise and trying to
put a tick in the H/F toolbar there but it doesn't allow me to do this. I
guess this could be the main problem but once again don't know why it's not
working .... very baffling!

If anyone else comes up with any other ideas to find the missing toolbar I
would certainly welcome them! Thanks all the same. I appreciate your taking
the time to respond.

"NZJen" wrote:

When I am inserting headers and footers in a Word document I don't get the
Header & Footer TOOLBAR. The only thing that appears is the header area of
the document or the footer area, WITHOUT the toolbar, which I usually use for
inserting page numbers, breaking the links between sections etc. HELP????

Jacob_F_Roecker

NZ:

This is going to sound really simple but consider this:

The program isn't working right. You may have a bug on your computer--even
if your virus detection hasn't found it yet.

I'd suggest that you should reinstall Word. The program is supposed to work
and it's not.

I'd recommend reinstalling. Then run a disk check (formerly scandisk),
virus check, and make sure you've downloaded the most recent updates.

You're the IT guy. You don't need me to tell you this. But I think we both
agree--Your word's not working right.

"NZJen" wrote:

When I am inserting headers and footers in a Word document I don't get the
Header & Footer TOOLBAR. The only thing that appears is the header area of
the document or the footer area, WITHOUT the toolbar, which I usually use for
inserting page numbers, breaking the links between sections etc. HELP????

Or try this:

1. Press Alt+F11 to open the Visual Basic Editor.

2. In the Immediate window at the bottom of the screen, type

CommandBars("Header and Footer").Visible = True

3. Press Enter

This will work only if you have the header pane open in a Word document.

"NZJen" wrote:

When I am inserting headers and footers in a Word document I don't

get the
Header & Footer TOOLBAR. The only thing that appears is the header

area of
the document or the footer area, WITHOUT the toolbar, which I

usually use for
inserting page numbers, breaking the links between sections etc.

HELP????

Charles Kenyon

I haven't seen the earlier posts. I suspect the toolbar was dragged off the
screen by mistake.

The following macro should restore your toolbar unless you destroyed it.

Sub HFFloat()
' Switch to Header/Footer View
If ActiveWindow.View.SplitSpecial wdPaneNone Then
ActiveWindow.Panes(2).Close
End If
If ActiveWindow.ActivePane.View.Type = wdNormalView Or ActiveWindow. _
ActivePane.View.Type = wdOutlineView Then
ActiveWindow.ActivePane.View.Type = wdPrintView
End If
ActiveWindow.ActivePane.View.SeekView = wdSeekCurrentPageHeader
' Display Toolbar
Application.CommandBars("Header and Footer").Enabled = True
Application.CommandBars("Header and Footer").Visible = True
Application.CommandBars("Header and Footer").Top = 448
Application.CommandBars("Header and Footer").Left = 300
End Sub

"NZJen" wrote:

When I am inserting headers and footers in a Word document I don't get
the
Header & Footer TOOLBAR. The only thing that appears is the header
area of
the document or the footer area, WITHOUT the toolbar, which I usually
use for
inserting page numbers, breaking the links between sections etc.
HELP????

NZJen

Thanks once again Jacob and, as you noted, I am an IT trainer (Microsoft
Office software only) and should supposedly be able to know how to fix this
probem! However, to date I've tried all the things you've suggested including
uninstalling, reinstalling Word; uninstalling Word 2002 and installing Word
2003; virus checks; system checks etc and SO FAR nothing has solved my
problem!! So ..... I guess it must be some sort of a virus so will probably
now have to pay money to take my laptop somewhere to get checked out by the
real experts!! Thanks for your advice anyway!

"NZJen" wrote:

When I am inserting headers and footers in a Word document I don't get the
Header & Footer TOOLBAR. The only thing that appears is the header area of
the document or the footer area, WITHOUT the toolbar, which I usually use for
inserting page numbers, breaking the links between sections etc. HELP????

NZJen

Hi Suzanne - thanks for your suggestion. I've never used Visual Basic Editor
before, apart from editing the odd simple macro! I've followed your
instructions but am not sure what you mean by the "immediate window at the
bottom of the screen". When I am in my document (with header pane open) and
turn on the VBE only two "columns" appear on the left with commands etc and
the right hand side of the screen is all greyed out - like a blank Word
screen. Can't see where you mean I should be typing "CommandBars ....."
text. Would appreciate it if you could give a wee bit more detail. Thanks!

"NZJen" wrote:

When I am inserting headers and footers in a Word document I don't

get the
Header & Footer TOOLBAR. The only thing that appears is the header

area of
the document or the footer area, WITHOUT the toolbar, which I

usually use for
inserting page numbers, breaking the links between sections etc.

HELP????

NZJen

THANKYOU Charles!!! I copied your macro into edit macros and it will now
bring up the toolbar as long as I run it as a macro. I still can't get
Headers and Footers to appear as an option on my View menu or in the
customise toolbars area. I have tried all the usual methods (dragging and
dropping toolbars and toolbar buttons) and ended up recreating it and calling
it HeadersFooters. As I said before it now only works as a macro and I have
assigned a keyboard shortcut to open it. I can't think how I could have
actually dragged the toolbar off the screen and then lost it!! Normally when
a toolbar is dragged around it attaches itself somewhere around the borders
of the screen and still remains visible, or can be accessed through the
View/Toolbars/Customise option! VERY STRANGE .... but at least this has
given me access to my toolbar once again! SO A BIG THANKS!
Jenny

"NZJen" wrote:

When I am inserting headers and footers in a Word document I don't get
the
Header & Footer TOOLBAR. The only thing that appears is the header
area of
the document or the footer area, WITHOUT the toolbar, which I usually
use for
inserting page numbers, breaking the links between sections etc.
HELP????

Charles Kenyon

You are welcome.

The following should add the header/footer command back to your view menu,
although not necessarily in the same place.

Sub HFViewCommand()
CommandBars("View").Controls.Add Type:=msoControlButton, ID:=762, _
Befo=14
End Sub

--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

news

_

"NZJen" wrote:

When I am inserting headers and footers in a Word document I don't
get
the
Header & Footer TOOLBAR. The only thing that appears is the header
area of
the document or the footer area, WITHOUT the toolbar, which I
usually
use for
inserting page numbers, breaking the links between sections etc.
HELP????

Sorry, use the View menu or Ctrl+G to open the Immediate window (now if I
could just figure out how to close the Object Browser sigh).

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Or try this:

1. Press Alt+F11 to open the Visual Basic Editor.

2. In the Immediate window at the bottom of the screen, type

CommandBars("Header and Footer").Visible = True

3. Press Enter

This will work only if you have the header pane open in a Word document.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"NZJen" wrote:

When I am inserting headers and footers in a Word document I

don't
get the
Header & Footer TOOLBAR. The only thing that appears is the

header
area of
the document or the footer area, WITHOUT the toolbar, which I

usually use for
inserting page numbers, breaking the links between sections etc.

HELP????

nzjen

Thanks Suzanne - I'll give that a go soon.

Re your Object browser query don't know if this will help:

This is what I do to turn off the object browser - click on the Select
Browse Object button (or Alt+Ctrl+Home) and then click on the Browse By Page
button this returns the document back to normal view.

Not sure if that's what you were referring to or not! Have a good day. (I'm
a New Zealander living in England by the way!!)

Jenny

"NZJen" wrote:

When I am inserting headers and footers in a Word document I

don't
get the
Header & Footer TOOLBAR. The only thing that appears is the

header
area of
the document or the footer area, WITHOUT the toolbar, which I
usually use for
inserting page numbers, breaking the links between sections etc.
HELP????

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Scratcher

I just had the same problem in Word 2003, BUT, after I'd finished reading
this entire page, wonder of wonders, and without me doing anything, the
toolbar re-appeared!!!!

"NZJen" wrote:

When I am inserting headers and footers in a Word document I don't get
the
Header & Footer TOOLBAR. The only thing that appears is the header
area of
the document or the footer area, WITHOUT the toolbar, which I usually
use for
inserting page numbers, breaking the links between sections etc.
HELP????

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Howard Walker 635 Howard Walker 635 is offline

I also had the same problem in 20rd 2003. I found that I had dragged it onto
the second screen of my dual monitor set up, and it was hiding behind another
window.

This happened even if I closed and opened word.