Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rudy Rudy is offline

Default Date Autocomplete in Word 2007

Using Office 2007 I notice that if my document is in Draft view, then the
Automatically insert the current date
feature works, that is, if I type the beginning of a month name I have the
option of pressing Enter to get the date.

But if I view the document in Print view, then the date feature does not work.

***

I dislike the draft view however, as after awhile it starts leaving bad
lines on the screen and showing false images.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rudy Rudy is offline

I found a fix for this. I just created a macro InsertFixedDate that inserts
a date field in my my preferred format (like August 18, 2007), and which then
locks the field so the date doesn't get changed if I update the fields in my
whole doc.

I assigned the macro to a key sequence that I find easy to remember,
Alt+Ctrl+D

(In general, I use Alt+Ctrl shortcut keys for all my macros, as the existing
shortcuts they overwrite tend not to be ones I care about.)

The macro goes like this:

Sub InsertFixedDate()
'
' InsertFixedDate Macro
'
'
Selection.Fields.Add Range:=Selection.Range, Type:=wdFieldEmpty, Text:= _
"DATE \@ ""MMMM d, yyyy"" ", PreserveFormatting:=True
Selection.MoveLeft Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=8
Selection.Fields.Locked = True
End Sub