Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
sharris

Default In Word, how can I automatically insert a comma between numbers?

When I am typing a document in Word (let's say a letter) and I type numbers
with a comma such as 1,158, I use the number pad but have to go over to the
letter pad for the comma. There should be a comma in the number pad. Is there
any way to format with auto correct with the numbers being unknown, to always
insert a comma after every number that is followed by three numbers
(1,111,111 or 1,158)? Or is there some other way that I don't know about,
such as automatically invoking a macro?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carol

ALT + 044 should give you a comma.
--
Carol A. Bratt, MCP

"sharris" wrote:

When I am typing a document in Word (let's say a letter) and I type numbers
with a comma such as 1,158, I use the number pad but have to go over to the
letter pad for the comma. There should be a comma in the number pad. Is there
any way to format with auto correct with the numbers being unknown, to always
insert a comma after every number that is followed by three numbers
(1,111,111 or 1,158)? Or is there some other way that I don't know about,
such as automatically invoking a macro?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Steve Yandl

I suspect there is a Find/Replace that would be more direct but this macro
should do what you are asking.

_ __ ______ __________________________

Sub AddCommasToNumbers()

Dim rngOriginal As Range
Dim strTemp As String

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

Set rngOriginal = Selection.Range

ActiveDocument.Range(0, 0).Select

With Selection.Find
.ClearFormatting
.Text = "[0-9]{4,}"
.Replacement.Text = ""
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindContinue
.Format = False
.MatchCase = False
.MatchWholeWord = False
.MatchAllWordForms = False
.MatchSoundsLike = False
.MatchWildcards = True

Do While .Execute
strTemp = Selection.Text
Selection.Text = Format$(strTemp, "#,##0")
Selection.Collapse wdCollapseEnd
Loop
End With

rngOriginal.Select

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

Steve Yandl

"sharris" wrote in message
When I am typing a document in Word (let's say a letter) and I type
numbers
with a comma such as 1,158, I use the number pad but have to go over to
the
letter pad for the comma. There should be a comma in the number pad. Is
there
any way to format with auto correct with the numbers being unknown, to
always
insert a comma after every number that is followed by three numbers
(1,111,111 or 1,158)? Or is there some other way that I don't know about,
such as automatically invoking a macro?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey

Steve,

Expanded your suggestion a bit as I wouldn't expect you would want to format
numbers like phone numbers 1-800-867-5309, SSN's 123-45-6789, or Serial
Numbers
123SEWR3432432143SWQ21, etc.

Sub CommaFormatNumbers()

Dim oRng As Word.Range
Set oRng = ActiveDocument.Range
With oRng.Find
.ClearFormatting
.Replacement.ClearFormatting
.Text = "([0-9]{4,})"
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindStop
.MatchWildcards = True
While .Execute
Select Case Asc(oRng.Characters.Last.Next)
Case 7, 9, 10, 11, 13, 32
On Error GoTo Handler
Select Case Asc(oRng.Characters.First.Previous)
Case 7, 9, 10, 11, 13, 32
Proceed:
oRng = Format$(oRng, "#,##0")
oRng.Collapse wdCollapseEnd
Case Else
oRng.Collapse wdCollapseEnd
End Select
Case Else
'Do Nothing
End Select
Wend
End With
Exit Sub
Handler:
Resume Proceed
End Sub

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
See:

"sharris" wrote in message
When I am typing a document in Word (let's say a letter) and I type
numbers
with a comma such as 1,158, I use the number pad but have to go over
to the
letter pad for the comma. There should be a comma in the number pad.
Is there
any way to format with auto correct with the numbers being unknown,
to always
insert a comma after every number that is followed by three numbers
(1,111,111 or 1,158)? Or is there some other way that I don't know
about, such as automatically invoking a macro?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Steve Yandl

Greg,

You're assuming the original poster isn't an eccentric who would like commas
in those text/number strings.vbg. Thanks for the improved code. To be
honest, I only do "10 key" entries in Excel where I can easily modify number
format; in Word, I've never found it a problem to type a comma in the few
cases where I enter large numbers. I was mostly interested in the question
to see if there was a slick 'Find/Replace' that could do the deed without a
subroutine.

Steve

"sharris" wrote in message
When I am typing a document in Word (let's say a letter) and I type
numbers
with a comma such as 1,158, I use the number pad but have to go over
to the
letter pad for the comma. There should be a comma in the number pad.
Is there
any way to format with auto correct with the numbers being unknown,
to always
insert a comma after every number that is followed by three numbers
(1,111,111 or 1,158)? Or is there some other way that I don't know
about, such as automatically invoking a macro?

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: In Word, how can I automatically insert a comma between numbers?

Yes, there is a way to automatically insert a comma between numbers in Word. You can use the AutoCorrect feature in Word to achieve this. Here are the steps:
  1. Open a new or existing document in Word.
  2. Click on the "File" tab in the top left corner of the screen.
  3. Click on "Options" at the bottom of the left-hand menu.
  4. In the Word Options dialog box, click on "Proofing" in the left-hand menu.
  5. Click on the "AutoCorrect Options" button.
  6. In the AutoCorrect dialog box, click on the "AutoFormat As You Type" tab.
  7. Check the box next to "Formatted text (with layout)" under the "Replace as you type" section.
  8. Check the box next to "Use replacement table" under the "Replace as you type" section.
  9. Click on the "OK" button to close the AutoCorrect dialog box.
  10. Type a number with more than three digits, such as "12345".
  11. Press the spacebar or type a non-numeric character, such as a letter or punctuation mark.
  12. The number should automatically be formatted with a comma, like this: "12,345".

That's it! Now, every time you type a number with more than three digits, Word will automatically insert a comma between the thousands and hundreds places. This can save you time and make your documents look more professional.