Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sam Sam is offline

Default Mail Merge Labels: selecting the data source

Hi there!
I just wanted to set up labels for a mail merge and when I browse for the
database, for some reason I cannot use my database (excel). I can choose the
file, select the table but then again another "select table" window opens
where I cannot choose any table (empty) or no matter which workbook I choose,
it always says "word was unable to open the data source".

Any suggestions? I used the same format yesterday with a different excel
file and everything was fine.

Thanks a lot,
Sam

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Yvonnej Yvonnej is offline

Sam,

Not sure if this will help, but when merging from Excel make sure you only
have the column headings and then the data with nothing above the column
headings.

Hope this is helpful for you
--
YvonneJ

"Sam" wrote:

Hi there!
I just wanted to set up labels for a mail merge and when I browse for the
database, for some reason I cannot use my database (excel). I can choose the
file, select the table but then again another "select table" window opens
where I cannot choose any table (empty) or no matter which workbook I choose,
it always says "word was unable to open the data source".

Any suggestions? I used the same format yesterday with a different excel
file and everything was fine.

Thanks a lot,
Sam

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sam Sam is offline

Thanks, Yvonnej! But this is not it. I do not have anything above the normal
headings... ;-(

Any other idea??

Thanks again,
Sam

"Sam" wrote:

Hi there!
I just wanted to set up labels for a mail merge and when I browse for the
database, for some reason I cannot use my database (excel). I can choose the
file, select the table but then again another "select table" window opens
where I cannot choose any table (empty) or no matter which workbook I choose,
it always says "word was unable to open the data source".

Any suggestions? I used the same format yesterday with a different excel
file and everything was fine.

Thanks a lot,
Sam

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
swanskerry swanskerry is offline

A user here had that same problem pop up last week. We created a named
range in the Excel file containing the header row and merge data and
selected that in the Select Table window. Worked perfectly. One thing
to look for though - the very top left cell in her spreadsheet was
blank, which often occurs with tables because the left column and top
row are used for data labels. Make sure it's not blank in your
spreadsheet. HTH

"Sam" wrote:

Hi there!
I just wanted to set up labels for a mail merge and when I browse for the
database, for some reason I cannot use my database (excel). I can choose the
file, select the table but then again another "select table" window opens
where I cannot choose any table (empty) or no matter which workbook I choose,
it always says "word was unable to open the data source".

Any suggestions? I used the same format yesterday with a different excel
file and everything was fine.

Thanks a lot,
Sam

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi Sam,

I just wanted to set up labels for a mail merge and when I browse for the
database, for some reason I cannot use my database (excel). I can choose the
file, select the table but then again another "select table" window opens
where I cannot choose any table (empty) or no matter which workbook I choose,
it always says "word was unable to open the data source".

Any suggestions? I used the same format yesterday with a different excel
file and everything was fine.

I'm having difficulties making sense of the circumstances - although the error
message is clear enough :-)

Which version of Word are we dealing with, here? I'm guessing 2002 or 2003?

Is the table you want to use not on the first sheet in the Workbook? Does it not
start in cell A1? And have you not applied a Name to the table range?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Detach or change SQL data source for Word template, and other Qs SJMac Mailmerge 6 July 27th 06 10:12 AM
Word 2000 mail merge documents won't save Access 2000 data source Andy C Mailmerge 1 May 17th 06 08:39 AM
How Come? Michael Koerner Mailmerge 9 February 10th 06 10:29 PM
Numeric rounding problems in mail merge with excel data source. Mark Mailmerge 2 January 12th 06 11:41 AM
Specific Email Merge w/ Specific Attachements Mark B Mailmerge 9 February 21st 05 05:10 AM