Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
kipg kipg is offline

Default recovered word docs not opening correctly

this pertains only to word 2000 office professional!

i recently had to do a data recovery from my hd, among which were many .doc
files
(office2000). having them back on my system (xp, 32k), i notice that when i
roll the cursor over the file names, i see the various mb file sizes - and
all that looks 'normal.' HOWEVER when i actually click to open these various
documents, i got an error message regarding the converter mswrd632.

i looked up this error and performed the deletion of the registry key
concerning wordpad6 (i actually exported the key to my desktop in case i
need it).
i now no longer get the error message, but when the recovered word document
opens, it is full of garbled letters, symbols and whatnot. in a word:
unreadable/usable.

this problem only exists on these newly recovered documents - not my newly
created/saved docs - and in case you were curious - these recovered docs,
were not initially infected -and, as i already mentioned, appear to have the
correct
mb size. both the older recovered docs and newer ones were both created by
the same program (word 2000 office professional).

how do i make these recovered word docs 'normal'? i had the idea that if i
uninstalled my office 2000 suite and then reinstalled it - this might do the
trick. but i don't know. Any other suggestion?

oh, and i run xp, sp2 (yeah, i know i should have sp3, but i don't yet. if
you think it makes a difference, please elaborate).

otherwise, thanks for any help! ~k