Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Steve Koenig

Default An old file comes up every time I start Word? Can this be changed

Subject says it all. How to set Word so it opens with a blank document and
not an old file?
Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans

See http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErr...ocNotBlank.htm

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Steve Koenig" Steve wrote in message
Subject says it all. How to set Word so it opens with a blank document and
not an old file?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Steve Koenig

Default An old file comes up every time I start Word? Can this be chan

My blank document is in fact blank when I close the document that opens upon
starting Word then selecting blank document. The question is why does Word
begin with a previously saved document?
Thanks,
Steve Koenig

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

See http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErr...ocNotBlank.htm

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Steve Koenig" Steve wrote in message
Subject says it all. How to set Word so it opens with a blank document and
not an old file?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Look at the Properties of the shortcut used to start Word. Copy the path
shown for Target on the Shortcut tab. Paste it into a post here. That will
help us determine whether the shortcut used to start Word is designed to
open with a specific document.

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

See http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErr...ocNotBlank.htm

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Steve Koenig" Steve wrote in message
Subject says it all. How to set Word so it opens with a blank document

and
not an old file?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Steve Koenig

Where do I find the shortcut used to start Word so I can look at the path?
Thanks,
Steve Koenig

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

See http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErr...ocNotBlank.htm

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Steve Koenig" Steve wrote in message
Subject says it all. How to set Word so it opens with a blank document

and
not an old file?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you're starting Word from the desktop or Start | Programs menu, then
that's the shortcut to look at (right-click and choose Properties). If
you're starting Word by double-clicking on a document, then naturally it's
going to open with that document.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Look at the Properties of the shortcut used to start Word. Copy the path
shown for Target on the Shortcut tab. Paste it into a post here. That

will
help us determine whether the shortcut used to start Word is designed to
open with a specific document.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

See http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErr...ocNotBlank.htm

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Steve Koenig" Steve wrote in

message
Subject says it all. How to set Word so it opens with a blank

document
and
not an old file?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Steve Koenig

i start Word from a desktop icon. Right clicking the icon and going to
properties yields "Opens with: Microsoft Office Word". Also givews
location, size and size on disk.
Clicking on "Change" next to "Opens with" a screen pop up reads, "Choose the
program you want to use to open this file.
File: Word.doc

Hope this means something to you as it hasn't helped me figure out how to
open Word with a blank document and not an old file.

Thanks,
Steve Koenig

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

See http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErr...ocNotBlank.htm

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Steve Koenig" Steve wrote in

message
Subject says it all. How to set Word so it opens with a blank

document
and
not an old file?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans

It sounds like you are opening a Word document (with Word) instead of just
starting Word.

What happens when you start Word via Start All Programs?

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Look at the Properties of the shortcut used to start Word. Copy the

path
shown for Target on the Shortcut tab. Paste it into a post here.

That
will
help us determine whether the shortcut used to start Word is

designed to
open with a specific document.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Steve Koenig" wrote in

message

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

See http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErr...ocNotBlank.htm

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Steve Koenig" Steve wrote in

message
Subject says it all. How to set Word so it opens with a blank

document
and
not an old file?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I agree with Tony. It sounds like the desktop icon represents a document
rather than the Word executable. When you double-click on it, you are
opening the document, not just starting Word. If you want a desktop shortcut
to start Word, use Windows Search to find winword.exe (you will have to tell
Windows to include hidden files and folders in the search). When you find
it, right-click and choose Create Shortcut, then drag the shortcut to your
desktop.

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

See http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErr...ocNotBlank.htm

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Steve Koenig" Steve wrote in

message
Subject says it all. How to set Word so it opens with a blank

document
and
not an old file?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Steve Koenig

That worked.
Thank you,
Steve Koenig

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

See http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErr...ocNotBlank.htm

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Steve Koenig" Steve wrote in
message
Subject says it all. How to set Word so it opens with a blank
document
and
not an old file?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Steve Koenig

Thank you. That worked. Of course I have no idea how that document came
about being on the desktop as the icon was there a lot longer than that file
existed, but not important now that all works.
Thanks,
Steve Koenig

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

See http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErr...ocNotBlank.htm