Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Joe

Default help please to get Equation editor available

Hello experts. I recently found that I do not have Equation editor 3.0
as the help file says I should have. I try to insert an object and the
equation thing is not in the list. (I'm using Office 2000 Premium CD's I
bought at the store).

I went thru the Add Remove programs thing, and Equation editor is listed
there. So I completely uninstalled (and lost EVERYTHING of course as
all of MS updates do) and reinstalled. Same thing, no equation editor
available.

Can someone please give me a clue how to get this feature or perhaps
tell me that it's just not available (no matter what MS says)?

Thanks, Joe

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman

Hi Joe,

First: You do NOT have to uninstall Office. That was a waste of time
and energy. Here are the steps you need.

- Restart the Add/Remove Programs thing, click on Microsoft Office
2000, and click the Change button.

- Click the big button next to "Add or Remove Features".

- In the tree diagram in the next page, expand the Office Tools item.

- The third item down is Equation Editor. Click on the picture icon
and select "Run from my computer" in the dropdown menu.

- Click the Update Now button at the bottom right. Be prepared to
insert the CD if/when the program asks for it.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 17:06:16 GMT, Joe wrote:

Hello experts. I recently found that I do not have Equation editor 3.0
as the help file says I should have. I try to insert an object and the
equation thing is not in the list. (I'm using Office 2000 Premium CD's I
bought at the store).

I went thru the Add Remove programs thing, and Equation editor is listed
there. So I completely uninstalled (and lost EVERYTHING of course as
all of MS updates do) and reinstalled. Same thing, no equation editor
available.

Can someone please give me a clue how to get this feature or perhaps
tell me that it's just not available (no matter what MS says)?

Thanks, Joe

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Joe

Jay, thanks to you and Suzzane for helping me. I had almost got it right.

Could I please ask you one more question? I have bought and updated
Office twice I believe. I'm tempted to get the latest version but the
last two times everything I had was trashed when I did the update. I
lost all macros, customizations, spelling dictionaries, document
templates, everything. The last time I looked carefully for some
instructions to perhaps avoid such a calamity but found nothing. Is
losing everything just the cost of an update? It takes me 6 months to
recover and I have been avoiding that. Thanks for your time. Joe

Jay Freedman wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Ordinarily if you install a new version of Word/Office over an existing one,
it is very respectful of your personal settings (I've never had them
trashed). But, just to be on the safe side, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/FilesToBackup.htm

Jay Freedman wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Joe

Suzanne, thanks for taking the time to help. The link is interesting and
it makes it understandable why nothing can be backed up -- the stuff is
scattered all over the place and I can only locate some of the stuff
(and some I can't even specify where it is stored). Near the bottom it
mentions an exe that is supposed to do some kind of auto backup of my
customizations for Word2000 but when I followed the link do download it,
the link is dead.

You say that ordinarily the new version over an old one is respectful --
it sure wasn't for me. But at least I've heard from someone who has been
well treated and perhaps next time I do hazard an update, I'll be
treated better.

Thanks again for your help. Joe

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Ordinarily if you install a new version of Word/Office over an existing one,
it is very respectful of your personal settings (I've never had them
trashed). But, just to be on the safe side, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/FilesToBackup.htm

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I'm not sure I see why you think that article "makes it understandable why
nothing can be backed up," as its purpose is to give specific instructions
for backing everything up. It's not rocket science.

When you installed a new version, did you install it over the old one or
uninstall the old one first? Or install the new one in a separate folder?

In any case, the most vital thing to back up is Normal.dot.

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Ordinarily if you install a new version of Word/Office over an existing

one,
it is very respectful of your personal settings (I've never had them
trashed). But, just to be on the safe side, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/FilesToBackup.htm

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Joe

OK, I'll be sure to backup normal.dot but it isn't clear where it goes.

By the way I installed over the old one -- and it should have not
trashed everything as it did. My reading of the article makes it very
understandable (to me) why backing up is at best difficult because as
the article says, the files are located all over the place. I know it's
not rocket science. Further reading in the article links shows that each
edition of Office puts these files in different places and one author (a
MS guy) couldn't figure out where some of the things were stored. \

Thanks again for your help.