Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
TonyJ TonyJ is offline

Default Selective MailMerge

We have a process where we ask a person to update their critical data from an
excel spreadsheet. All employees in our company are in the spreadsheet. I'm
planning on using Excels AutoFilter to keep the other data private from the
employee of interest. Once the employee verifies their data, I want to print
out his data on several pre-printed forms. My question is, how do I do a
mail merge that will only print one employee that I select. I hope this
makes sense. Your thoughts on how to solve my problem.

TonyJ
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Assuming you're allowing each employee to update their data in situ in the
XL sheet, will AutoFilter really let you
a. present each employee's data to that employee
b. prevent the employee from seeing anything else?

Assuming, however, that that is what you're going to do, how will the
overall process work - are you going to invite each employee in turn to
update their data, then produce the forms for that employee?

If so, the simplest approach is probably to have a workbook/worksheet with
the same columns, and column headers, as your full worksheet, connect all
your mail merge main documents to that, then for each employee, copy/paste
the appropriate row(s) from the main workbook to the "merge" workbook,
overwriting any data you had previously. Then do your merges. Even if you
automate, that's probably the simplest approach.

One problem is that if you try to use your full worksheet as a data source,
no "table" is presented that contains only the filtered data.

Peter Jamieson