Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Steve Steve is offline

Default Cannot select Word as default program for doc files.

For reasons unknown to me I can't seem to set Word as the default program to
open my doc files. I have Windows Vista and put on Office 2000 and then
subsequently found my Office 2003. Excel works fine and has automatically
switched over but Word has not. Word doesn't come on the other programs list
and when I browse for it and select it manually, nothing happens.

I can open documents fine via opening Word and selecting open but this is
annoying.

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Did you right-click on the name of any .doc file, go to Open with ...,
select Word, and then check the checkbox that says "Open all files of
this type with this application"?

On Apr 26, 2:41*pm, Steve wrote:
For reasons unknown to me I can't seem to set Word as the default program to
open my doc files. I have Windows Vista and put on Office 2000 and then
subsequently found my Office 2003. Excel works fine and has automatically
switched over but Word has not. Word doesn't come on the other programs list
and when I browse for it and select it manually, nothing happens.

I can open documents fine via opening Word and selecting open but this is
annoying.

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lobo Lobo is offline

Did you solve your problem . If I have an Work attachment sent to me in an
e-mail, when I try to open it, I get an error message that Works can not open
and the file may be corrupt. In researching, I was told to set may "default
program" which I have done. But still nothing works..do you have any ideas?

"Steve" wrote:

For reasons unknown to me I can't seem to set Word as the default program to
open my doc files. I have Windows Vista and put on Office 2000 and then
subsequently found my Office 2003. Excel works fine and has automatically
switched over but Word has not. Word doesn't come on the other programs list
and when I browse for it and select it manually, nothing happens.

I can open documents fine via opening Word and selecting open but this is
annoying.

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Save it to your hard drive first and see if it does any better.

On May 5, 12:00*pm, LOBO wrote:
Did you solve your problem . If I have an Word attachment sent to me in an
e-mail, when I try to open it, I get an error message that Word can not open