RPDriscoll

Default How do I get word to NOT open files as read only automatically?

I am using Word 2003. All of my files are being opened as read only. When
looking at properties, they are not set as read only. In order for the read
only to be removed, I have to copy the file, delete the original, and re-name
the copy. Then the file opens normally. How can I get this "re-set" so that
they open normally?
Jay Freedman

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/LockedFiles.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Jay Freedman

Sorry, everything else I know of doesn't match the symptoms you described.
For example, if the folder permissions were set to read-only, you wouldn't
be able to remove the setting by copying and renaming individual files.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

RPDriscoll wrote:
I am using Word 2003. All of my files are being opened as read
only. When looking at properties, they are not set as read only.
In order for the read only to be removed, I have to copy the file,
delete the original, and re-name the copy. Then the file opens
normally. How can I get this "re-set" so that they open normally?

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/LockedFiles.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

RPDriscoll

The files are in the "shared files" folder. Could this have something to do
with it?
My wife is attempting to modify one of the shared files.

-Rob Driscoll