Philos

Default Search/Find two words that are not next to each other

This is like a Boolean search; like you search in Google. You search for two
or three words and finds documents with those words, anywhere in the
document. However, in this case, in Word 2003, I am searching for two words
in ONE SENTENCE, anywhere in the sentence. If I am not mistaken this feature
was available in earlier editions of Word. Any solutions?
CyberTaz

You might be able to do it with wildcards, such as :

.. *word1*word2*.

Starting with the period followed by a space and ending with a period to
indicate that the string be within a sentence. Haven't tested it, but it
ought to work.

Good Luck |:)

On 8/28/05 4:55 PM, in article
, "Philos"
wrote:

This is like a Boolean search; like you search in Google. You search for two
or three words and finds documents with those words, anywhere in the
document. However, in this case, in Word 2003, I am searching for two words
in ONE SENTENCE, anywhere in the sentence. If I am not mistaken this feature
was available in earlier editions of Word. Any solutions?

Philos

I tried the following
.. *Peter*that* It finds these words, and the period preceeding them. But
they are not in one sentence. They are anywhere in the document.
likewise for this
*Peter*that*

wrote:

This is like a Boolean search; like you search in Google. You search for two
or three words and finds documents with those words, anywhere in the
document. However, in this case, in Word 2003, I am searching for two words
in ONE SENTENCE, anywhere in the sentence. If I am not mistaken this feature
was available in earlier editions of Word. Any solutions?

Doug Robbins

Try including a period after the final * as was suggested.

See the article "Finding and replacing characters using wildcards"
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Genera...gWildcards.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

wrote:

This is like a Boolean search; like you search in Google. You search
for two
or three words and finds documents with those words, anywhere in the
document. However, in this case, in Word 2003, I am searching for two
words
in ONE SENTENCE, anywhere in the sentence. If I am not mistaken this
feature
was available in earlier editions of Word. Any solutions?

Philos

Yes, I did try it with the period. It does not work: it does not limit the
distance between the words that are being searched. The asterisk * between
the words searches for "one or MORE spaces and/or characters." Is there a
way to LIMIT the spaces and/or characters between two words being searched?

wrote:

This is like a Boolean search; like you search in Google. You search
for two
or three words and finds documents with those words, anywhere in the
document. However, in this case, in Word 2003, I am searching for two
words
in ONE SENTENCE, anywhere in the sentence. If I am not mistaken this
feature
was available in earlier editions of Word. Any solutions?

Philos

In earlier versions of Word, I cannot remeber exactly, but there was a
feature in the search (some type of wildcard), where you entered a number,
lets say, 15 and it would find the two words you are searching for within 15
spaces. Does this help?

wrote:

This is like a Boolean search; like you search in Google. You search for two
or three words and finds documents with those words, anywhere in the
document. However, in this case, in Word 2003, I am searching for two words
in ONE SENTENCE, anywhere in the sentence. If I am not mistaken this feature
was available in earlier editions of Word. Any solutions?

Philos

I used the following:
same?{1,}drink
Results: it finds these words anywhere in the document.
I read You articel "Finding and replacing characters using wild cards" It
says,
{n,m} finds text containing between €œn€ and €œm€ occurrences of the previous
character or expression; so a{2,3} will find €œaa€ and €œaaa€, but only the
first 3 characters in €œaaaa€ ).
So I used a second number to limit the previous "?" (any character) to five
times
same?{1,5}drink
Results: it still finds these words anywhere in the document.
What can be done to set a limit of the number of spaces or characters
between the two words in a search?

wrote:

This is like a Boolean search; like you search in Google. You
search for two or three words and finds documents with those words,
anywhere in the document. However, in this case, in Word 2003, I am
searching for two words in ONE SENTENCE, anywhere in the sentence.
If I am not mistaken this feature was available in earlier editions
of Word. Any solutions?

Doug Robbins

same[A-z ]{1,25}drink

in a Wildcard Find will find "same" and "drink" with a maximum of 25
characters (including spaces) between them

--

"Philos" wrote in message
I used the following:
same?{1,}drink
Results: it finds these words anywhere in the document.
I read You articel "Finding and replacing characters using wild cards" It
says,
{n,m} finds text containing between "n" and "m" occurrences of the
previous
character or expression; so a{2,3} will find "aa" and "aaa", but only the
first 3 characters in "aaaa" ).

wrote:

This is like a Boolean search; like you search in Google. You
search for two or three words and finds documents with those words,
anywhere in the document. However, in this case, in Word 2003, I am
searching for two words in ONE SENTENCE, anywhere in the sentence.
If I am not mistaken this feature was available in earlier editions
of Word. Any solutions?

Philos

Still loking for help. Boolean search is so common and useful ... wouldn't
the Microsoft programmers have thought of it?

"Philos" wrote:

I used the following:
same?{1,}drink
Results: it finds these words anywhere in the document.
I read You article "Finding and replacing characters using wild cards" It

wrote:

This is like a Boolean search; like you search in Google. You
search for two or three words and finds documents with those words,
anywhere in the document. However, in this case, in Word 2003, I am
searching for two words in ONE SENTENCE, anywhere in the sentence.
If I am not mistaken this feature was available in earlier editions
of Word. Any solutions?

Capitalizing the right words in the titles in bibliographies Sam Microsoft Word Help 2 August 8th 05 06:16 PM
How do I build a word list with number of occurrences of each wor. Bill Crowl Microsoft Word Help 2 March 20th 05 12:17 AM
Word frequencies Anthea Microsoft Word Help 6 January 10th 05 05:46 AM
Word Count mel Microsoft Word Help 2 December 14th 04 11:17 PM
Recurring words/phrases Pegge New Users 1 December 9th 04 03:08 AM