Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kenneth Kenneth is offline

Default Word points to wrong NORMAL.DOT...?

Howdy,

I run Word 2000 SP3, and can't seem to get it to point to
the correct Normal.dot.

Here are the details:

This is a new installation (I toasted my old desktop).

A search of the complete system shows that I have only one
Normal.dot in a folder called F:\Templates.

In Word's Tools | Options | File Locations I have set both
User Templates and Workgroup Templates to F:\Templates.

If I simply launch Word, it defaults to the font that I use
in the intended Normal.dot, but if I then look in Tools |
Macro | Macros, none appear (and I have a ton.)

If, instead, I close Word, navigate to the only copy of
Normal.dot I have, and double click on its icon, Word
Launches, but then when I look in Tools | Macro | Macros is
shows "Normal.dot (global template)" in the dropdown and the
Macros field blank.

If I then drop down the dot field and click on "Normal.dot
(Template)", the Macros field populates.

So (and with apologies if all this is too much detail), it
seems that word somehow sees two different versions of
Normal.dot one of which is a "global template" and the other
just a plain ol' "template."

That latter one is the one that I want Word to use.

Can you help me to do that?

Very sincere thanks,
--
Kenneth