Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Alan Alan is offline

Default Multi-level Outlines, Styles & Table of Contents in Word 2007

,I have set up Styles in previous versions of Word that contained customised
multi level outlines which I use for report and schedule numbering ie 1.0
(level 1), 1.1 (Level 2) and a. (level 3). With this I was able to
automatically sequentially number paragraphs and generate a table of contents
by using only levels 1 & 2 headings.
I have just purchased Word 2007 and cannot link multi level lists with
Styles only single level numbering. As a consequence, I cannot generate a
table of contents. I can create the numbering using the home home multi level
numbering but this is not a style and the generate contents page tab required
styles.
Why has something that was working OK been replaced with something that does
not appear to provide the same level of functionality?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can still do this in Word 2007; it's just accomplished a bit differently
and not as obvious because the labeling is deceptive. There are numerous
threads here and in the word.numbering NG that discuss this, so if I give
you a bum steer, you can probably find a post that explains it better, but
AIUI, you use the "Define new multi-level list" command (wherever that is)
and then link your predefined styles to the numbering levels.

"Alan" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

On the Home tab in the Paragraph group, click Multilevel List and click
Define New List Style. Then from the Format button at the button, click
Numbering. If you click the More button at the bottom you'll find the
ability to link a level of your outline to a style.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Alan" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

The "Define New List Style" command is preferred over "Define new Multilevel
List". The two are similar but only the List Style can be modified by
right-clicking on the saved List Style in the gallery and selecting Modify.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
You can still do this in Word 2007; it's just accomplished a bit
differently
and not as obvious because the labeling is deceptive. There are numerous
threads here and in the word.numbering NG that discuss this, so if I give
you a bum steer, you can probably find a post that explains it better, but
AIUI, you use the "Define new multi-level list" command (wherever that is)
and then link your predefined styles to the numbering levels.

so
all may benefit.

"Alan" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Alan Alan is offline

Many thanks,

I had not found the link to style box.

"Alan" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Thanks, Beth. I'm going to be discovering all this for myself very soon, I
hope. My new computer was delivered last week, and I'm gradually getting it
up and running but haven't installed Office 2007 yet (want to install Office
2003 first).

"Beth Melton" wrote in message
[...]

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Alan" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

As I'm sure you know there is a learning curve. I had Word 2003 installed at
one point too but it wasn't until I uninstalled it and forced myself to use
Word 2007 exclusively that I finally adapted.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Even when I do give up the crutch, I'll still have to be running mostly in
compatibility mode, as I have to share documents with at least one client
and various other people. Eventually I'll buy Office 2007 for my client, but
I'll wait till I have it figured out before I foist it on him!

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dave Robinson Dave Robinson is offline

There is a pretty good discussion of Numbered Lists in the "Numbered lists"
Post.
--
Dave Robinson