Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
chrisbee65 chrisbee65 is offline

Default What happened to the Speech Recognition Tool in Office 2007 -

What happened to the Speech Recognition Tool in Office 2007 - I spent the
better half of tonight trying to find it - including the MS Website - I am
going to be so upset to have spent this much money on the new 2007 Suite and
wind up losing more than what I have "gained" with the new version!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joe Joe is offline

speech recognition is now part of the OS and is included in Windows Vista.
There are very many improvements in the speech engine over previous versions.

"chrisbee65" wrote:

What happened to the Speech Recognition Tool in Office 2007 - I spent the
better half of tonight trying to find it - including the MS Website - I am
going to be so upset to have spent this much money on the new 2007 Suite and
wind up losing more than what I have "gained" with the new version!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
chrisbee65 chrisbee65 is offline

So, if you still have XP & purchased Office 2007 Suite - but don't have VISTA
- then you are basically screwed - right?

That really sux!

But thanks for replying and letting me know - I may just uninstall and go
back to my Office XP - at least until I get me a new computer - this has been
the biggest headache!

"chrisbee65" wrote:

What happened to the Speech Recognition Tool in Office 2007 - I spent the
better half of tonight trying to find it - including the MS Website - I am
going to be so upset to have spent this much money on the new 2007 Suite and
wind up losing more than what I have "gained" with the new version!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

Of course you're screwed. This is Microsoft you're talking about. That's
what they're good at.

"chrisbee65" wrote:

What happened to the Speech Recognition Tool in Office 2007 - I spent
the
better half of tonight trying to find it - including the MS Website - I
am
going to be so upset to have spent this much money on the new 2007
Suite and
wind up losing more than what I have "gained" with the new version!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pat Garard Pat Garard is offline

G'Day Chris,

The following was provided by "Hector" in the THIS Group (13 March) ....

Please first go to the following link to download and install speech
engine:

*Speech SDK 5.1*

After that, please refer to the following link to learn how to use speech
recognition.

How to install and configure speech recognition in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306537/en-us

For more information, please read the article below:

How To Use Speech Recognition in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306901/en-us

I have not tested it since I already had the Speech Engine (from Office 2003).
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

"chrisbee65" wrote in message
news
What happened to the Speech Recognition Tool in Office 2007 - I spent the
better half of tonight trying to find it - including the MS Website - I am
going to be so upset to have spent this much money on the new 2007 Suite and
wind up losing more than what I have "gained" with the new version!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Pat,

From some early testing, the method described will install the speech basic tools in
\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft\Speech, but, if I recall correctly it only partially worked if you don't have a prior Office
Edition installed, allowing you to dictate text, but you couldn't naviagate the ribbon or use Word voice commands for formatting,
but it's been awhile since I disabled it again (it does make a difference in the speed of the app g).

Using http://nuance.com seems to be a more stable choice.

===========
"Pat Garard" apgarard-bigpond:net:au wrote in message ...
G'Day Chris,

The following was provided by "Hector" in the THIS Group (13 March) ....

Please first go to the following link to download and install speech
engine:

*Speech SDK 5.1*

After that, please refer to the following link to learn how to use speech
recognition.

How to install and configure speech recognition in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306537/en-us

For more information, please read the article below:

How To Use Speech Recognition in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306901/en-us

I have not tested it since I already had the Speech Engine (from Office 2003).
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pat Garard Pat Garard is offline

Hi Bob,

I sometimes use the writing recognition - I have a USB graphics pad for other
reasons.

The speech recognition I did play with, but often gave bizarre results.

Is the Dragon that much better?
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" 75214.226(At Beautiful Downtown)compuserve.com wrote in
message ...
Hi Pat,

From some early testing, the method described will install the speech basic
tools in