Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
idiotprogrammer idiotprogrammer is offline

Default managing chapters in separate docs? (Word 2007)

I'm producing a book length document in Word 2007.

I've been reading up on master documents
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...02330597a082e2
and I see that this group isn't particularly fond of them in MS Word
(to put it mildly).

Here's my situation. I have several chapters I need to write and then
to send away for review. Either I can put all the documents into a
single big document and then cut and paste the chapter I want people
to review. OR: I can Create a separate word doc for each chapter.

I'm guessing it's better to create one big documents and cut and
paste things into separate chapters for review. The make modifications
manually into my gigantic document. That way I don't need to worry
about managing style inconsistencies between documents.

Alternatively, if I cut and paste chapters into a single document at
the end, will the index entries also be painted into the combined
document?

Robert Nagle

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I think either way is fine, but the big document is probably a little
better. Instead of cutting and pasting a chapter to send for review, do
a Save As and delete the unwanted stuff, that's a little less risking
changes. Outline View will let you delete or select a chapter in a second.
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/UsingOLView.htm

Combining your chapters at the end should bring the index marks with
them--you'll just want to regenerate the actual index. Using the same
template for each chapter should mitigate style inconsistencies if you
choose that route.

Others may have more advice. Also see the compilation of Long
Document/Book links here--the menu commands are not updated for Word
2007, but the general principles, approaches, and potential pitfalls are
largely the same.
http://daiya.mvps.org/bookword.htm