Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dina_mb Dina_mb is offline

Default My resume is only 1.5 pages yet 385KB. How do I reduce the file s

I have no idea why the file size would be this big. My resume contains no
pictures and no hotlinks. It's less than 5,000 characters and only 1.5 pages
long. I'm using Vista, Word 2007 and saving my documents as 97-2003 docs.
When I go to send my resume out, it's rejected because it's too big. When I
zip it, the file size is still too large. I need to find a way to reduce the
file size in Word 2007. Please help.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

There are a number of reasons for excessive file size, including:

1. Fast Saves: Disable this at on the Save tab of Tools | Options.

2. Preview Pictu Clear the check box on the Summary tab of File |
Properties.

3. Versions (File | Versions): Make sure "Automatically save version on
close" is not turned on.

4. Revisions (Tools | Track Changes):
Highlight Changes: Make sure "Highlight changes on screen" is turned on
(or that "Final Showing Markup" is displayed).
Accept/Reject Changes: If "Accept All" or "Reject All" is available then
revisions are present; accept or reject all changes, then turn Track Changes
off.

5. Keep track of formatting (Tools | Options | Edit). This is reportedly a
major cause of file bloat in Word 2002 and above.

6. Embedded True Type fonts (Tools | Options | Save); embedding fonts should
be avoided wherever possible.

7. Embedded linguistic data (Tools | Options | Save).

8. Embedded graphics: When feasible, it is preferable to link the graphics.
That is, when you insert the graphic, click the arrow beside Insert in the
Picture dialog and choose Link to File rather than Insert or Insert and
Link.

9. Embedded objects: These are even worse than ordinary graphics saved with
the document. If you see an { EMBED } code when you press Alt+F9, the
graphic is an OLE object. Unless you need to be able to edit the object in
place, unlink it using Ctrl+Shift+F9.

10. File format: Make sure you are saving as a Word document; in some cases
..rtf (Rich Text Format) files are significantly larger than .doc files.

11. Document corruption: See
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm.

http://word.mvps.org

"Dina_mb" wrote in message
I have no idea why the file size would be this big. My resume contains no
pictures and no hotlinks. It's less than 5,000 characters and only 1.5
pages
long. I'm using Vista, Word 2007 and saving my documents as 97-2003 docs.
When I go to send my resume out, it's rejected because it's too big.
When I
zip it, the file size is still too large. I need to find a way to reduce
the
file size in Word 2007. Please help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Do you really mean 385 kb, which is relatively small and therefore suggests
a problem nothing to do with your document, or do you mean 385 mb which is
enormously bloated and probably corrupt?
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm