Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Lori H. Lori H. is offline

Default header reference in footer

in Word 2007, I created custom headers to use on a template for SOP documents
(I know I don't really need them saved as quick parts since I'm using a
template file). All headers contain the SOP title (text box), & page 1
header includes "extra" text boxes for info such as SOP number.

Is it possible to create a page 2 footer that references text that the user
enters in the page 1 header? For example, after they enter the SOP number in
the page 1 header, that number should appear in the footer of subsequent
pages (so they don't need to enter the same information in both the header &
footer)?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

If the SOP Title is a content control, you should be able to reference it
elsewhere. If it's an ordinary text box, you could try bookmarking the
content and using a REF (cross-reference) field to repeat it elsewhere, but
this might be iffier.

http://word.mvps.org

"Lori H." wrote in message
in Word 2007, I created custom headers to use on a template for SOP
documents
(I know I don't really need them saved as quick parts since I'm using a
template file). All headers contain the SOP title (text box), & page 1
header includes "extra" text boxes for info such as SOP number.

Is it possible to create a page 2 footer that references text that the
user
enters in the page 1 header? For example, after they enter the SOP number
in
the page 1 header, that number should appear in the footer of subsequent
pages (so they don't need to enter the same information in both the header
&
footer)?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Lori H. Lori H. is offline

Thanks.
I created a bookmark for the header's textbox (I did this by selecting the
box, not the content), and a cross-ref in the footer. Although Alt-A,F9
doesn't update the footer reference, I selected "update fields before
printing" in Word OptionsDisplay, and this works. The reference appears as
text without a textbox (which is good).

But is there any way to update references in the footer automatically when
the bookmark text changes (or even on document save), so conscientious users
won't see the un-updated info and think they need to correct it manually?

"Lori H." wrote in message
in Word 2007, I created custom headers to use on a template for SOP
documents
(I know I don't really need them saved as quick parts since I'm using a
template file). All headers contain the SOP title (text box), & page 1
header includes "extra" text boxes for info such as SOP number.

Is it possible to create a page 2 footer that references text that the
user
enters in the page 1 header? For example, after they enter the SOP number
in
the page 1 header, that number should appear in the footer of subsequent
pages (so they don't need to enter the same information in both the header
&
footer)?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Ordinarily, for fields in the header/footer, I suggest a StyleRef field (see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/StyleRef.htm), but I'm not clear how this
would work when the referenced style is in the header.

http://word.mvps.org