Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bryan

Default Word 2007 - Default Template

How do you create a default document template to include a header and footer.
In Word 2003 that was done through editing the normal.dot. Searched help
and can't find it.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It is a seriously bad idea to add a header or footer to Normal.dot, but I
can't imagine this is done any differently in Word 2007, which I assume
still has a Normal.dot.

"Bryan" wrote in message
How do you create a default document template to include a header and

footer.
In Word 2003 that was done through editing the normal.dot. Searched help
and can't find it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid

In Word 2007, the file is called Normal.dotm (Word 2007 macro-enabled
template is the file format).
It should be in Documents and Settings\Username\Application
Data\Microsoft\Templates
If you upgraded from 2003, Word should have converted your normal.dot
into its normal.dotm.
If it didn't, put your normal.dot in that directory and delete the
existing normal.dotm (while Word is closed). That should force Word to
upgrade your normal.dot

Patrick Schmid
--------------
http://pschmid.net

:

"Bryan" wrote in message
How do you create a default document template to include a header and

footer.
In Word 2003 that was done through editing the normal.dot. Searched help
and can't find it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
stewart walker stewart walker is offline

thanks for a real answer. very helpful. as apposed to:

It is a seriously bad idea to add a header or footer to Normal.dot, but I
can't imagine this is done any differently in Word 2007, which I assume
still has a Normal.dot.

shame the one with the question and make assumptions.

"Bryan" wrote in message
How do you create a default document template to include a header and

footer.
In Word 2003 that was done through editing the normal.dot. Searched help
and can't find it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You would be well advised to create a new template for use when you want a
header and footer to appear in it automatically.

Unexpected (actually not unexpected when you realise why it is happening)
things may happen with labels if you have a header or footer in the normal
template.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Patrick Schmid" wrote:

In Word 2007, the file is called Normal.dotm (Word 2007 macro-enabled
template is the file format).
It should be in Documents and Settings\Username\Application
Data\Microsoft\Templates
If you upgraded from 2003, Word should have converted your normal.dot
into its normal.dotm.
If it didn't, put your normal.dot in that directory and delete the
existing normal.dotm (while Word is closed). That should force Word to
upgrade your normal.dot

Patrick Schmid
--------------
http://pschmid.net

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
:

It is a seriously bad idea to add a header or footer to Normal.dot, but
can't imagine this is done any differently in Word 2007, which I assume
still has a Normal.dot.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Bryan" wrote in message
How do you create a default document template to include a header and
footer.
In Word 2003 that was done through editing the normal.dot. Searched
help
and can't find it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

While Word 2007 does not use the same normal.dot template as earlier
versions, is remains a seriously bad idea to add headers/footers to the
replacement normal.dotm default template. As Doug suggests it will make it
impossible to create labels correctly using the label tool. I would echo
Doug's recommendation to use separate templates for documents that require
header/footer information.