Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
JB reluctantly from WP JB reluctantly from WP is offline

Default Mergefield suppress if data field blank

Hello,

I have an Excel database file, and am merging into a Word document. I am
familiar with Word's merge process. However, I have a field in the database
called RADIO that is a 3-digit number, or the field may be blank. The Word
document displays the blank fields as a zero. I want them to be blank. I
have read previous posts about using switches within my mergefield, and they
kind of make sense, but none seem to be the right fix for my particular need.

Currently displayed in Word document: {Mergefield "Radio"}
I need this to only display text if not blank in database.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Julie ~ reluctantly switching from WordPerfect to Word (sheesh!)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Cindy B Cindy B is offline

Ive seen a lot of inconsistencies with newer versions of word as well. I
would suggest creating an If Then Else statement to control the field. €śIf
mergefield is not blank then insert otherwise do nothing€ť

Good luck.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod macropod is offline

Hi JB,

You can fix this by adding a numeric picture switch to the field. To do
this:
.. select your mergefield and press Shift-F9 to expose the code. It should
look something like:
{MERGEFIELD ExcelData}
where 'ExcelData' is you field name
.. delete anything after 'ExcelData' and add '\# 0;;') to the field so that
you've got:
'{MERGEFIELD ExcelData \# 0;;}'
.. press F9 to update the field
.. run your mailmerge

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"JB reluctantly from WP"
wrote in message ...
Hello,

I have an Excel database file, and am merging into a Word document. I am
familiar with Word's merge process. However, I have a field in the

database
called RADIO that is a 3-digit number, or the field may be blank. The

Word
document displays the blank fields as a zero. I want them to be blank. I
have read previous posts about using switches within my mergefield, and

they
kind of make sense, but none seem to be the right fix for my particular

need.

Currently displayed in Word document: {Mergefield "Radio"}
I need this to only display text if not blank in database.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Julie ~ reluctantly switching from WordPerfect to Word (sheesh!)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
JB reluctantly from WP JB reluctantly from WP is offline

Macropod,

Thank you so much! I knew I didn't have to make long complicated IF, THEN,
ELSE statements to get the result I wanted! I really appreciate your help.

~Julie

wrote in message ...
Hello,

I have an Excel database file, and am merging into a Word document. I am
familiar with Word's merge process. However, I have a field in the

database
called RADIO that is a 3-digit number, or the field may be blank. The

Word
document displays the blank fields as a zero. I want them to be blank. I
have read previous posts about using switches within my mergefield, and

they
kind of make sense, but none seem to be the right fix for my particular

need.

Currently displayed in Word document: {Mergefield "Radio"}
I need this to only display text if not blank in database.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Julie ~ reluctantly switching from WordPerfect to Word (sheesh!)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
malycom malycom is offline

Macprod, this has helped me a little also, but if you are still viewing this
2 years on, I wonder if you cousl assist a little more?

I have also used your {MERGEFIELD ExcelData \# 0;;} example in fields but
there are instances where there are problems.

If an address is '43 something street', the result coming back is '43' with
the rest of the line missing.

This seems to happen everywhere there is more than one word in a mergefield.
Any time there is a space, the data inserted stops at the first space.

Is there anything you can suggest?

Regards

wrote in message ...
Hello,

I have an Excel database file, and am merging into a Word document. I am
familiar with Word's merge process. However, I have a field in the

database
called RADIO that is a 3-digit number, or the field may be blank. The

Word
document displays the blank fields as a zero. I want them to be blank. I
have read previous posts about using switches within my mergefield, and

they
kind of make sense, but none seem to be the right fix for my particular

need.

Currently displayed in Word document: {Mergefield "Radio"}
I need this to only display text if not blank in database.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Julie ~ reluctantly switching from WordPerfect to Word (sheesh!)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi malycom,

If you want an alpha-numeric string (eg an address) to appear in full, delete the picture switch - it's only intended to suppress 0s
in empty numeric fields. Using it elsewhere returns just the number - as you've discovered.

--
Cheers
macropod

wrote in message ...
Hello,

I have an Excel database file, and am merging into a Word document. I am
familiar with Word's merge process. However, I have a field in the

database
called RADIO that is a 3-digit number, or the field may be blank. The

Word
document displays the blank fields as a zero. I want them to be blank. I
have read previous posts about using switches within my mergefield, and

they
kind of make sense, but none seem to be the right fix for my particular

need.

Currently displayed in Word document: {Mergefield "Radio"}
I need this to only display text if not blank in database.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Julie ~ reluctantly switching from WordPerfect to Word (sheesh!)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
malycom malycom is offline

Thanks for your reply Macprod - Unfortunately, I have no idea what a picture
switch is. I think I have enough to be able to do what I need for now.

Thanks for your reply though

Regards

wrote in message ...
Hello,

I have an Excel database file, and am merging into a Word document. I am
familiar with Word's merge process. However, I have a field in the
database
called RADIO that is a 3-digit number, or the field may be blank. The
Word
document displays the blank fields as a zero. I want them to be blank. I
have read previous posts about using switches within my mergefield, and
they
kind of make sense, but none seem to be the right fix for my particular
need.

Currently displayed in Word document: {Mergefield "Radio"}
I need this to only display text if not blank in database.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Julie ~ reluctantly switching from WordPerfect to Word (sheesh!)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi malycom,

The picture switch in this case is '\# 0;;' - and is referred to as such in my old post that you included in your initial post.

Simply delete it and run your mailmerge.

--
Cheers
macropod

wrote in message ...
Hello,

I have an Excel database file, and am merging into a Word document. I am
familiar with Word's merge process. However, I have a field in the
database
called RADIO that is a 3-digit number, or the field may be blank. The
Word
document displays the blank fields as a zero. I want them to be blank. I
have read previous posts about using switches within my mergefield, and
they
kind of make sense, but none seem to be the right fix for my particular
need.

Currently displayed in Word document: {Mergefield "Radio"}
I need this to only display text if not blank in database.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Julie ~ reluctantly switching from WordPerfect to Word (sheesh!)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

The "picture switch" is the "\# 0;;" part of the field which specifies a
format for your data.

In this case "\#" is the switch and "0;;" is the picture.

"switch" and "picture" are both longstanding computer jargon - "switch"
referring to something that alters the behaviour of a "command" of some
kind. In this case the "command" is a field code. "picture" because a
format such as "0.00" is in a sense a "picture" of how the data should look.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

wrote in message ...
Hello,

I have an Excel database file, and am merging into a Word document. I am
familiar with Word's merge process. However, I have a field in the
database
called RADIO that is a 3-digit number, or the field may be blank. The
Word
document displays the blank fields as a zero. I want them to be blank. I
have read previous posts about using switches within my mergefield, and
they
kind of make sense, but none seem to be the right fix for my particular
need.
Currently displayed in Word document: {Mergefield "Radio"}
I need this to only display text if not blank in database.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Julie ~ reluctantly switching from WordPerfect to Word (sheesh!)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
njt njt is offline

I have a similar problem as JB except my mail merge can result in a number
such as $5,000.00 or it may be $0.00 or it may be blank. I used the example
you gave JB (i.e., {MERGEFIELD ExcelData \# 0;;}'), and it works great for my
blanks and my numbers such as $5,000 but if the value is $0.00 it shows as a
blank after I mail merge. How can I get my $0.00 values to show as zeros,
but my blanks to show as blanks.

Thanks so much for your time!

njt

wrote in message ...
Hello,

I have an Excel database file, and am merging into a Word document. I am
familiar with Word's merge process. However, I have a field in the

database
called RADIO that is a 3-digit number, or the field may be blank. The

Word
document displays the blank fields as a zero. I want them to be blank. I
have read previous posts about using switches within my mergefield, and

they
kind of make sense, but none seem to be the right fix for my particular

need.

Currently displayed in Word document: {Mergefield "Radio"}
I need this to only display text if not blank in database.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Julie ~ reluctantly switching from WordPerfect to Word (sheesh!)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsoft.com Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsoft.com is offline

Use

{MERGEFIELD ExcelData \# "$,0.00;($,0.00);" }

or if you prefer

{MERGEFIELD ExcelData \# "$,0.00;-$,0.00;" }

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

wrote in message
Hello,

I have an Excel database file, and am merging into a Word document. I
am
familiar with Word's merge process. However, I have a field in the

database
called RADIO that is a 3-digit number, or the field may be blank. The

Word
document displays the blank fields as a zero. I want them to be blank.
have read previous posts about using switches within my mergefield, and

they
kind of make sense, but none seem to be the right fix for my particular

need.

Currently displayed in Word document: {Mergefield "Radio"}
I need this to only display text if not blank in database.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Julie ~ reluctantly switching from WordPerfect to Word (sheesh!)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
njt njt is offline

Doug,

Thanks for your response. I tried your suggestion but in my word report I
am still just getting numbers in excess of $0 (ex. $5,000) or a blank. If
the number in the Access column is entered as a $0 it shows up in my word
document as a blank. I need to make a distinction between the access entries
where we have entered $0 and entries where we have intentionally left a
blank. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Jaree

wrote in message
Hello,

I have an Excel database file, and am merging into a Word document. I
am
familiar with Word's merge process. However, I have a field in the
database
called RADIO that is a 3-digit number, or the field may be blank. The
Word
document displays the blank fields as a zero. I want them to be blank.
have read previous posts about using switches within my mergefield, and
they
kind of make sense, but none seem to be the right fix for my particular
need.

Currently displayed in Word document: {Mergefield "Radio"}
I need this to only display text if not blank in database.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Julie ~ reluctantly switching from WordPerfect to Word (sheesh!)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsoft.com Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsoft.com is offline

You are going to need to use an If...then...Else field construction

{ IF { MERGEFIELD ExcelData } = 0 "$0.00" {MERGEFIELD ExcelData \#
"$,0.00;($,0.00);" }}

or maybe

{ IF { MERGEFIELD ExcelData } "" {IF { MERGEFIELD ExcelData } 0
{MERGEFIELD ExcelData \# "$,0.00;($,0.00);" } "$0.00" } "" }

--

wrote in message
[...]

Is there no conditional line print function or variable? FUBARinSFO Mailmerge 2 October 25th 06 02:46 PM
Supress blank lines Jan Mailmerge 5 March 6th 06 03:52 PM
print field data only for forms option prints a blank page Ken Microsoft Word Help 6 October 6th 05 10:05 PM
Unwanted spaces in address on envelopes jen Mailmerge 3 September 26th 05 05:37 AM
If then else containing value not at the end or in the beginning Gert Raes Mailmerge 3 July 13th 05 02:28 PM