Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Charlotte Charlotte is offline

Default Inserting more than 1 set of pages numbers on one document

Hello all,
I have my thesis which needs 3 sets of page numbers all starting from '1'
but in different formats:
I have 4 pages which are required to be numbered '1-4' in Roman numerals
(Pages 1-4), then the next lot of pages (page 5 onwards) needs to be pages
'1-49' in standard numerical notation. I then have the appendices which
again, need to be '1-whatever...' in Roman numerals.

Do i need to insert page breaks or something? This is currenlty ~53 page
document with no inserted page breaks or anything, just page after page of
text and graphs (Really thrilling stuff!!). I've played around with format
page numbers and tried inserting from page 5, but it keeps starting on page 1
from page 1, and tried inserting in Roman numerals then chaging it when i get
to page 5 to no avail....

Thanks for any help!
Charlotte

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

You should insert Next Page Section Breaks via the Breaks pulldown on Page
Setup chunk of the Page Layout tab.

Then with the selection in each Section access the Page Number Format dialog
via the Header and Footer chunk of the Insert tab and set the desired Number
format using the pull-down at the top of the dialog and click the Start at
radio button and ensure that the numeral 1 appears in the adjacent list.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Charlotte" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Hello Charlotte

Charlotte wrote:
Hello all,
I have my thesis which needs 3 sets of page numbers all starting from '1'
but in different formats:
I have 4 pages which are required to be numbered '1-4' in Roman numerals
(Pages 1-4), then the next lot of pages (page 5 onwards) needs to be pages
'1-49' in standard numerical notation. I then have the appendices which
again, need to be '1-whatever...' in Roman numerals.

FWIW, I'd talk to whoever issued these requirements: while it is not
unheard of, restarting the roman numerals in the appendix does add no
value IMHO. On the contrary, it makes citation a lot harder (see page
"ix" -- well, *which*?!).

I can live with switching back to roman numerals but continuing from
where you left of (it's possible but not very handy to do that in Word),
or simply continuing with arabic numbers from the main text.

0.002ΒΆ
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...rontMatter.htm, but I
have to concur with Robert Franz that numbering the appendixes with roman
numerals is unconventional.

"Charlotte" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Charlotte Charlotte is offline

It's standard over here in the UK I'm afraid - can't really argue with my
department for the sake of an easier to use word doc! I might just stick the
appendix in as a separate doc. Thanks for your help!

"Charlotte" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Charlotte wrote:
It's standard over here in the UK I'm afraid

I would bet money that in the UK also, there are almost as many
standards for this sort of thing as there are universities (or more :-))

- can't really argue with my
department for the sake of an easier to use word doc! I might just stick the
appendix in as a separate doc. Thanks for your help!

Well, Doug gave you the directions for having it your (department's)
way. But should you decide to talk to anybody about the requirements,
don't mention your application, but your readers and the citation
ambiguities the requirements create ...

Greetings
Robert
--