Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John in Lakewood, California, USA

Default Spell check that checks that day of week and date coincide

All too often, for example, I proofread letters from other people who in
their correspondence say that a meeting will take place in the future, say,
on Monday, March 21, 2006. Trouble is, March 20 is a Monday. The spellcheck
should check the day of the week versus the date and flag it with a red
squiggly underline as though it is a misspelled word to flag the error to the
document's author.

I'm surprised nobody has suggested this before, or have they?

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

They haven't that I know about. It is possible to produce fields that will
produce the correct days, but looking at a calendar works as well. As a
proofing tool, I don't know that there would be a lot of demand for it
(compared to the work that it would take to create it), but what I don't
know would fill volumes.

See http://addbalance.com/word/datefields2.htm for information on the
different kinds of ways to make a date calculation work. It includes links
to utilities to create the fields and an explanation of different macros
that can be used instead of fields. It also has a link to
http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/show...?Number=249902 which is a document
with various fields already created.

--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

.com wrote in message
All too often, for example, I proofread letters from other people who in
their correspondence say that a meeting will take place in the future,
say,
on Monday, March 21, 2006. Trouble is, March 20 is a Monday. The
spellcheck
should check the day of the week versus the date and flag it with a red
squiggly underline as though it is a misspelled word to flag the error to
the
document's author.

I'm surprised nobody has suggested this before, or have they?

----------------
this
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

There is nothing wrong with the spelling. Monday and March are both spelled
correctly. What you are asking about is data validation, from personal data
which is entered as text, which is a whole new ball game.

Microsoft has provided date fields that set the date automatically. If
people choose to avoid the tools provided then mistakes are going to occur.
I can't see how it would be possible to validate such disparate information.
How for example would you allow for.

"Next Monday there will be a meeting at .... please mark the 21st March in
your diary."?

Future dates are best inserted by macro or field - see
http://www.gmayor.com/insert_a_date_...than_today.htm and the link there
to http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/show...?Number=249902 and then such
errors cannot creep in.

John in Lakewood, California, USA wrote:
I agree, but it should be a given to spellcheck the day of the week
and the date.

"John in Lakewood, California, USA" wrote:

All too often, for example, I proofread letters from other people
who in their correspondence say that a meeting will take place in
the future, say, on Monday, March 21, 2006. Trouble is, March 20 is
a Monday. The spellcheck should check the day of the week versus
the date and flag it with a red squiggly underline as though it is a
misspelled word to flag the error to the document's author.

I'm surprised nobody has suggested this before, or have they?

This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to
the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion,
click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see
the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft
Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane.