Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
David Nelson

Default Merge Fields and Formating - How to easily repeat a pre-set merge.

I am attempting to merge Excel fields into a Word Document using mailmerge
(essentially filling in a form). For lack of a better document I am using
"letter" merge (8.5"x11") as my "form" (e.g. a blank piece of paper). I am
experiencing two issues:

1. The numbers are losing their formating. One field I would like to have
as currency with cents and another is a "Stock Number" that is alphanumeric.
The currency field comes across as a number with no formating. The
alphanumeric part is fine as long as it is numeric only (if an "alpha" is in
it the value returned is "0"). My field values are reflected as
STOCK_NO and LST_PRICE.

2. My second issue is that this process would be run several times a week.
It appears the easiest way to make this repeatable is to create a template
(*.dot) file that references the same Excel file and process it with the
updates...or am I missing something?

Thanks in Advance,

Dave