Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Carl Bentz Carl Bentz is offline

Default Document with multiple tables, form fields, bookmarks and calculat

I am trying to create a general "estimate" document for service advisors to
complete for their customers. Two of five tables (Tables 1 and 2) would
simply contain text form fields to simplify data entry. Two more of the
tables (Tables 3 and 4) would/could include multiple lines that would include
calculations (sum and percentage of) and both might need to have additional
rows added, if more options for service/repair work was required. One final
table would be an overview that calculated a subtotal, miscellaneous (a % of
calculation), a sales tax calculation and a grand total. The subtotal and
Miscellaneous items would be taken from Tables 3 and 4. - The users are
currently working with Word 2000. My development work is in Word 2003 at
present. -
Question 1. Is it possible to add additional rows to a table and have the
form field definitions be retained in the added rows?
Question 2. Can these calculations be done without resorting to a "button"
and VBA to initiation the math? [I did find an Update option that did the
calculations with individual tables, but could not get the information from
one table to another to work.]
Question 3. Can you tell me more about using Bookmarks and cell names in
order to refer to one or more cells in other tables in order to make
calculations - for example create a sum from a "totals" cell in Table 3 and a
"totals" cell in Table 4.
Thank you in advance for any ideas and assistance.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

The following macro run on exit from the formfield in the last cell of the
last row of a table will add another row to the table and insert formfields
into each of the cells in that row:

' Macro created 02/02/03 by Doug Robbins
' To add a new row to a table containing formfields in every column
' automatically on exit from the last cell in the present last row of the
table
Dim rownum As Integer, i As Integer
Dim Response
Response = MsgBox("Do you want to add another row ?", vbYesNo)
If Response = vbYes Then ' User chose Yes.
ActiveDocument.Unprotect
ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Rows.Add
rownum = ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Rows.Count
For i = 1 To ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Columns.Count
ActiveDocument.FormFields.Add
Range:=ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Cell(rownum, i).Range,
Type:=wdFieldFormTextInput
Next i
ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Cell(ActiveDocument.Table s(1).Rows.Count,
ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Columns.Count).Range.Form Fields(1).ExitMacro =
"addrow"
ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Cell(ActiveDocument.Table s(1).Rows.Count,
1).Range.FormFields(1).Select
ActiveDocument.Protect Type:=wdAllowOnlyFormFields, NoReset:=True
End If
End Sub

It would need modifying if you need calculation type formfields in some of
the cells.

While it is possible to create such a form using form fields, I would really
recommend that it be done with a userform.

See the article "How to create a Userform" at:

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Userforms/CreateAUserForm.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Carl Bentz" Carl wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Carl Bentz[_2_] Carl Bentz[_2_] is offline

Default Document with multiple tables, form fields, bookmarks and calc

Doug, ( or whom ever) Thank you for yur comments. I've been mulling over
what you said and perhaps the UserForm might be more to the point, but at
this point, I'm stuck with trying to do it work Word. And I'm really puzzled
if the addition of lines with form fields would solve the problem either.
I've tried to create as much of the Estimate.DOT as possible and will
attempt to attach it here if i can figure out how. In the first table using
calculations I used 'bm1' and 'bm2' as column totals using a =sum(above) to
create a result in those BookMark fields. Similarly in the second table
'bm3', 'bm4', and 'bm5' are used with a similar calculation for Bookmark
field results. The final table, then, references those book marks to do
subtotals, some auxiliary calculations, salestax and a final overall total.
Well, that was the plan anyway, but obviously the syntax is wrong and "the
index too large" with no indication in Microsoft info sources as to what
that means.

Oh well, the idea of attaching the file was a good one, but i do not see how
i could do it! The following four error messages are from the table doing
the final calculations showing the error message and the formula causing them.

1 Sub-Total st1 !Index Too Large

{ =SUM(bm1,bm3,bm5) \# $#,##0.00 ) }

Miscellaneous st2 !Syntax Error, ;

{ =SUM(bm2;bm4) \# $#,##0.00 )} also tried { =SUM(bm2,bm4) } and got the
index too large message

Sales Tax 0.07525% st3 !Syntax Error, [

{ =SUM(0.07525*st1,0.07525*st2) \# $#,##0.00 }

Total st4 !Index Too Large

{ =SUM(st1,st2,st3) \# $#,##0.00 }

Updating values will still present a problem as well as additional lines as
2 items in each of the service type tables will probably be insufficient,
but if i can get the calcuations working i'll be thrilled! Thanks.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If bm1 bm3 etc are bookmarks, you should have more success if you use

{ =SUM({REF bm1},{REF bm3},{REF bm5}) \# "$,0.00" ) }
or
{={REF bm1} + {Ref BM3} + {Ref BM5} \# "$,0.00"}

For the sales Tax

{={REF st2} * .07525 \ # "$,0.00"}

assuming that is the sum that represents your tax

ie to use the bookmarks in a calculation you need to use REF fields (which
may not require the Word REF, but will require field boundaries. Formular
fields like this are not used from the form fields manu but are inserted
from the insert fields menu or manually using CTRL+F9 for the field
pairs - see also http://www.gmayor.com/formatting_word_fields.htm

Note that calculations from form fields will show an error until all the
form fields that make up the calculation have numeric content.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Carl Bentz[_2_] Carl Bentz[_2_] is offline

- Graham Thank you so much for your suggestions. About 15 seconds after I
posted my questions last night I realized my biggest problem was that I
didn't know exactly how to refer to the bookmarked values I had created. You
cleared that up very nicely. I am still fighting a couple of Syntax Errors at
this point, but I am sure that is something stupid on my part and if I stare
at it a bit more, I will see it.
Thanks again.
Also Thanks to Doug Robbins for his assistance!

Carl Bentz wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you don't, grab the macro from http://www.gmayor.com/export_field.htm
then use it to post the exact structure you are using.