Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
quirkyartist quirkyartist is offline

Default Cells and rows turning blue

Hi,
I have WORD 2007 on Windows XP SR2, upgraded from Word 2000.
When I insert a table in a WORD document, as soon as I place my cursor in
it, the cell or the row turns blue. If I click in another cell, the first
blue area stays blue and the next area turns blue as well. I can't use the
tables function at all, because I can't see what I am typing. I have looked
around the forums & found others with the problem. They say it is related to
the QAT. I have not altered the QAT and do not have a word.qat file in
Applications Data. How do I get around this & start using tables again?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

It has been reported that this sort of thing is a result of incompatibility
between Word 2007 and the display driver. Check the website of the
manufacturer of you graphics display card for an updated driver.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"quirkyartist" wrote in message
Hi,
I have WORD 2007 on Windows XP SR2, upgraded from Word 2000.
When I insert a table in a WORD document, as soon as I place my cursor in
it, the cell or the row turns blue. If I click in another cell, the first
blue area stays blue and the next area turns blue as well. I can't use the
tables function at all, because I can't see what I am typing. I have
looked
around the forums & found others with the problem. They say it is related
the QAT. I have not altered the QAT and do not have a word.qat file in
Applications Data. How do I get around this & start using tables again?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
[email protected] wendy_shortland@optusnet.com.au is offline

Hi,
I upgraded my driver as you suggested (NVidia Geforce 4 MX440 AGP8X
Dell E172FP).
Nothing has changed. I open a new document , insert a table, as soon
as I try to type the cells turn blue.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

I have done a bit more research and have come across the following
information:

Apparently there is a limit on how many items in the quick access bar. It
has
to do with the added value of each shortcut exceeding some sort of limit and
causing the issue. MS said they coudn't say exactly how many shortcuts is
too
many because each shortcut may have a different value. So you just kind of
have to add them until you have the problem, then take one off. This is a
pretty bad glitch if you ask me. I hope that they make this one of the
priorites on their updates.

Unquote

and posters who say they have reset the QAT have had that fix the problem.
You may want to make a screen shot of the QAT before you reset it and that
will delete all of the buttons that you have added to it.

Just counting now however, I have about 40 items on my QAT and I have not
experienced the issue, so maybe it is a combination of factors.

Let us know how you get on.
--

wrote in message
Hi,
I upgraded my driver as you suggested (NVidia Geforce 4 MX440 AGP8X
Dell E172FP).
Nothing has changed. I open a new document , insert a table, as soon
as I try to type the cells turn blue.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
sbrinkley - MCP sbrinkley - MCP is offline

I have just been working with a user on this issue and tried this solution.
She took screenshots of her Quick Access Buttons and then reset the toolbar.
Problem solved! She then started adding the buttons back one at a time and
found that when she added the "Different First Page" button the issue
returned. She removed that button, all was back to normal. She then added
diferent buttons and all has remained normal. She then went to another user
and asked that user to add the "Different First Page" button to her toolbar.
Immediately the problem appeared for that user. So check if you have the
"Different First Page" button on your toolbar and try removing it.

Thanks for the helpful posts.

wrote in message
Hi,
I upgraded my driver as you suggested (NVidia Geforce 4 MX440 AGP8X
Dell E172FP).
Nothing has changed. I open a new document , insert a table, as soon
as I try to type the cells turn blue.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Thanks for posting this. I have confirmed that behaviour and also that it
occurs if it is the Different Odd and Even Page button that is added.
Adding both buttons does not cancel the effect however.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP