Jack Heery

Default .sxw files

I have files saved from 'openoffice'. They will open, but only in code. How
can I read them in Word 2000? The message I get is: 'm50EJ.sxw is not a valid
Win32 application.' (m50EJ is the file name).
Jack
Shauna Kelly

Hi Jack

As far as I know, Word can't open a file created in Open Office. But Open
Office can save a file in a Word format. So try opening the file in Open
Office, and saving in a Word format. There are links here that may help:
http://www.google.com/search?num=100...ve+word+format

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"Jack Heery" Jack wrote in message
I have files saved from 'openoffice'. They will open, but only in code.
How
can I read them in Word 2000? The message I get is: 'm50EJ.sxw is not a
valid
Win32 application.' (m50EJ is the file name).
Jack

Jack Heery

Shauna
Thanks, but that doesn't seem to work. It opens now as a word file, but
still in a coded form. The first line of the coded page is:
mimetypeapplication/vnd.sun.xml.writerPK
Does this mean anything?
Jack

"Shauna Kelly" wrote:

Hi Jack

As far as I know, Word can't open a file created in Open Office. But Open
Office can save a file in a Word format. So try opening the file in Open
Office, and saving in a Word format. There are links here that may help:
http://www.google.com/search?num=100...ve+word+format

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"Jack Heery" Jack wrote in message
I have files saved from 'openoffice'. They will open, but only in code.
How
can I read them in Word 2000? The message I get is: 'm50EJ.sxw is not a
valid
Win32 application.' (m50EJ is the file name).
Jack

Timothy L

Microsoft Word does NOT (and probably never will) open any file in these formats:
OpenDocument Text (.odt)
OpenDocument Text Template (.ott)
OpenOffice.org Text Document (.sxw)
OpenOffice.org Text Document Template (.stw)
StarOffice's StarWriter (.sdw)
StarOffice's StarWriter Template (.vor) file.

To open (and convert) this file, you WILL need to download AND install the free open source office suite
alternative called OpenOffice.org.

OpenOffice.org can create, open, edit, and save Microsoft Word Documents (.doc), Microsoft Word Templates
(.dot), Microsoft Excel Worksheets (.xls), Microsoft Excel Templates (.xlt), Microsoft PowerPoint
Presentations (.ppt), Microsoft PowerPoint Slide Shows (.pps), and Microsoft PowerPoint Templates (.pot). This
means that you will be able to open the OpenOffice.org Text Document (.sxw) and save it into the Microsoft
Word Document (.doc) file format which Microsoft Word understands.

During installation of OpenOffice.org, you will be asked if you want OpenOffice.org to automatically open
Microsoft Word Documents, Microsoft Excel Spreadsheets, and Microsoft PowerPoint Presentations. As long as you
make sure that these options are NOT checked when you get to this step, OpenOffice.org won't make these
changes and the Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and Microsoft PowerPoint (full version or the viewer) will
remain the default for opening these files. This is documented in the Setup Guide (see links below to download
it) for OpenOffice.org 2.0 on page 26.

You find more information about OpenOffice.org at, well...
http://www.openoffice.org/

The latest stable release (at the time of this post) is OpenOffice.org 2.0. You can download it he
http://download.openoffice.org/2.0.0/index.html

Manuals and guides for OpenOffice.org (i.e. an installation manual, setup guide, or user guide) can be found
he
http://documentation.openoffice.org/index.html

To view PDF files, you will need the Adobe Acrobat Reader (a.k.a. Adobe Reader or Acrobat Reader):

NOTE 1: The OpenOffice.org project and software are informally referred to as "OpenOffice", but project
organizers report that this term is a trademark held by another party, requiring them to adopt
"OpenOffice.org" as its formal name (abbreviated as "OOo").

NOTE 2: OpenOffice.org is NOT developed or supported by Microsoft.

How to open an OpenOffice.org Text Document (.sxw) in OpenOffice.org 2.0 and convert it to a Microsoft Word
Document (.doc):

If you are on Windows 2000 or Windows XP, you WILL need to log in as an Administrator prior to installing
OpenOffice.org 2.0.

If you haven't already done so, download OpenOffice.org 2.0 from he
http://download.openoffice.org/2.0.0/index.html

Open the downloaded file and go through the installation process.

AFTER OpenOffice.org 2.0 has been installed...
Click the "Start" button (to bring up the Start Menu), point to "Programs", then point to "OpenOffice.org 2.0"
and click on "OpenOffice.org Writer".

If you are using Windows XP and don't see "Programs" under the Start Menu, look for "All Programs" instead. In
other words:
Click the "Start" button (to bring up the Start Menu), point to "All Programs", then point to "OpenOffice.org
2.0" and click on "OpenOffice.org Writer".

If this is the first time you are running OpenOffice.org, you will be given a welcome screen where you WILL
need to "Scroll Down" and "Accecpt" a license agreement, enter your name, etc. The last part is for
registration and is NOT required.

In OpenOffice.org Writer, click "File" and then click "Open...".

At the bottom of the "Open" dialog, you will find a selection list with the text "Files of type:" to the left
of it with "All files (*.*)" selected. Lets be a bit more specific, so click on the arrow pointing down and
choose "OpenOffice.org 1.0 Text Document (.sxw)". Find your file, single click on it and click the "Open"
button.

After the file loads, click "File" and then click "Save As...".

Near the bottom of the Save As dialog box, you will find a selection list with the text "Save as type:" to the
left of it. Click on the arrow pointing down and choose "Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP (*.doc)". Choose a location
to save the file and click the "Save" button.

Now open the newly created Microsoft Word Document in Microsoft Word as you normally would open any other
Microsoft Word Document.

Additional notes:

Alternatively, you can open a file in OpenOffice.org by right-clicking the OpenOffice.org Quickstarter icon
(in the system tray) and choose "Open Document". The OpenOffice.org Quickstarter icon automatically loads
after OpenOffice.org has been started for the first time and will continue to load every time Windows is
started. This can be disabled in OpenOffice.org under Tools - Options... - Memory.

Everything noted above can be followed for older versions of OpenOffice.org with small changes to certain
steps. For example, with OpenOffice.org 1.1.5, you would start OpenOffice.org Writer by going to Start -
Programs - OpenOffice.org 1.1.5 - Text Document.

--
Please post all replies to the newsgroup for the benefit of others.
Requests for assistance by email will NOT be acknowledged!

"Jack Heery" Jack wrote in message
I have files saved from 'openoffice'. They will open, but only in code. How
can I read them in Word 2000? The message I get is: 'm50EJ.sxw is not a valid
Win32 application.' (m50EJ is the file name).
Jack

Jack Heery

Timothy L
Many thanks, but I'm still in a difficulty which perhaps you can help me with.
I have OpenOffice.org 1.1.4, but when I try to open it as per your
instructions I get:

'C:\Docs and Settings\Jack\Start Menu\Prperties\OpenOffice.org 1.1.4\New
OpenOffice.org 1.1.4 Text Document.sxw is not a valid Win.32 application.'
Jack Heery

"Timothy L" wrote:

[...]

Jack Heery

Graham
Many thanks, but your suggestion hasn't worked. I'm following Timothy L's
advice in the hope of getting a solution.
Jack Heery

"Shauna Kelly" wrote:

Hi Jack

As far as I know, Word can't open a file created in Open Office. But
Open Office can save a file in a Word format. So try opening the
file in Open Office, and saving in a Word format. There are links
here that may help:
http://www.google.com/search?num=100...ve+word+format

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"Jack Heery" Jack wrote in message
I have files saved from 'openoffice'. They will open, but only in
code. How
can I read them in Word 2000? The message I get is: 'm50EJ.sxw is
not a valid
Win32 application.' (m50EJ is the file name).
Jack

Timothy L

Since this isn't an OpenOffice.org support forum, about all I could suggest that you do is to either:

Repair OpenOffice.org 1.1.4 through Add/Remove Programs (Windows XP users: Add or Remove Programs) Control
Panel.
OR
Uninstall (or remove) OpenOffice.org 1.1.4 through Add/Remove Programs (Windows XP users: Add or Remove
Programs) Control Panel. Then download and install the latest (stable) version of OpenOffice.org, which is
OpenOffice.org 2.0 he
http://download.openoffice.org/2.0.0/index.html

If this doesn't help, then you should head over to the OpenOffice.org forum at
http://www.oooforum.org/forum/

--

"Timothy L" wrote:

[...]

How do I open multiple Word 2003 files to display on dual monitors mally Microsoft Word Help 6 July 4th 05 11:00 AM
How do I convert MS Word Office 2000 files to PDF files? alfa Microsoft Word Help 4 June 21st 05 08:33 AM
Upgrading MS Office caused Word Docs to DISAPPEAR?! Friendship Center New Users 6 January 27th 05 09:56 PM
Duplicate Files John Flatley New Users 1 December 22nd 04 08:17 AM
RECOVER Temp FILES from CD-RW Kimla Microsoft Word Help 0 December 6th 04 02:59 PM