Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sandi B Sandi B is offline

Default cross reference causing problems

I am working on a large document that uses captions and cross-references. I
am having trouble with sporatic page breaks around the cross-references. Any
suggestions?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Word cross-references depend on hidden bookmarks. The problem you are
experiencing is probably caused by manual page breaks that has been
inserted inside those bookmarks. Actually, any character or break can
easily be added inside a bookmark, namely, if you add it when the
cursor is at the beginning of a bookmarked paragraph. To avoid the
problem in the future, add the item at the end of the previous
paragraph instead.

You can fix the problem in an existing document by redefining the
bookmark so that it points to the correct text. Here's how to do it:
Select a cross-referenced paragraph. Choose Insert | Bookmark. Click
the "Hidden bookmarks" option and then click the "Location" button.
The name of the bookmark at the insertion point should be highlighted.
Click Add to redefine the bookmark. Repeat for each of the other
cross-references that are incorrect.

However, in this case it should be sufficient to delete the manual
page breaks and then format the paragraphs which should start on a new
page with "Page break before" formatting (in Format | Paragraph, Line
and Page Breaks tab) instead.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Sandi B" wrote in message
I am working on a large document that uses captions and
cross-references. I
am having trouble with sporatic page breaks around the
cross-references. Any
suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sandi B Sandi B is offline

Thank you! That was driving me absolutely crazy. I actually ended up
re-inserting the cross references, but I knew what to watch for. Thank you!

"Sandi B" wrote in message
I am working on a large document that uses captions and
cross-references. I
am having trouble with sporatic page breaks around the
cross-references. Any
suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You are welcome.

Note, however, that deleting cross-references does not delete their
bookmarks. In other words, you end up with multiple bookmarks for the
replaced cross-references.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Sandi B" wrote in message
I am working on a large document that uses captions and
cross-references. I
am having trouble with sporatic page breaks around the
cross-references. Any
suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sandi B Sandi B is offline

Yikes, I hope that doesn't cause me problems. My fingers are crossed.
Thanks for the heads up.