Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nevada Nevada is offline

Default file closing automatically

When I'm working on a file and i've been idle for too long, ie thinking
(slacking off) the file closes automatically. How can I stop that from
happening?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gordon Bentley-Mix Gordon Bentley-Mix is offline

Well the obvious answer is, "Stop slacking off!" g

This doesn't sound like standard Word behaviour. I've always been able to
leave my computer sitting idle for several hours (whilst in meetings and such
- _not_ slacking off) without documents closing. Perhaps it would help if you
told us what version of Word you are using and a bit more about the
environment in which you are using it; i.e. operating system, in a work
setting or at home, a list of any add-ins, etc.
--
Cheers!

Gordon Bentley-Mix
Word MVP

Uninvited email contact will be marked as SPAM and ignored. Please post all
follow-ups to the newsgroup.

"nevada" wrote:

When I'm working on a file and i've been idle for too long, ie thinking
(slacking off) the file closes automatically. How can I stop that from
happening?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Are you present when this happens? If not, do you have Windows set to update
automatically? If so, when Windows download and installs updates and needs
to restart, it will close all running programs in order to do so. It will
ask permission first, of course, but if the machine is unattended,
eventually the request times out and Windows gives itself permission.

http://word.mvps.org

"nevada" wrote in message
When I'm working on a file and i've been idle for too long, ie thinking
(slacking off) the file closes automatically. How can I stop that from
happening?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nevada Nevada is offline

sorry, my fault. im running word2007 in vista home premium.

no special add ins, and using it at home.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nevada Nevada is offline

Yes i am present when it happens. i don't have windows set up to update
automatically. it usually closes within half an hour of me slacking off. i
don't suppose it matters but it makes me feel guilty that im slacking off and
not writing. lol

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

And we're not talking about a screen saver or hibernation or anything like
that, just the document silently closing?

http://word.mvps.org

"nevada" wrote in message
Yes i am present when it happens. i don't have windows set up to update
automatically. it usually closes within half an hour of me slacking off. i
don't suppose it matters but it makes me feel guilty that im slacking off
and
not writing. lol

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nevada Nevada is offline

It just closes. the folder that it's in is still open but the document itself
is closed. Strangely enough, it didn't do it tonight, but i'm worried that
when the file gets really big (300 pgs or so) that it will decide to close
and something will get lost. i have automatic save and things on but i worry
about losing the part i wrote after it automatically saves a back up copy.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nevada Nevada is offline

I'm sorry my earlier reply did not post.

I have several folders in My Documents, Including one called Writing. in
that folder are more folders, one called Wyvern. in Wyvern are several
files/documents. I open the folder thenopen one of the docs. If i leave it
idle for longer than 30 minutes the file will close but the folder will
remain open. so Wyvern is still open listing the files/documents in it,
including the one that got closed automatically.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Word always defaults to the last-used folder, or, if you are using Windows
Explorer (My Computer) and leaving it open, there is no reason that it would
change its display, either, so in neither case is this relevant to the
document closing. Are you doing anything else when the document
spontaneously closes? For example, does it meet the conditions in "WD: Word
Quits Unexpectedly When Selecting a Document from the Windows Taskbar" at
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=555169?

http://word.mvps.org

"nevada" wrote in message
I'm sorry my earlier reply did not post.

I have several folders in My Documents, Including one called Writing. in
that folder are more folders, one called Wyvern. in Wyvern are several
files/documents. I open the folder thenopen one of the docs. If i leave it
idle for longer than 30 minutes the file will close but the folder will
remain open. so Wyvern is still open listing the files/documents in it,
including the one that got closed automatically.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nevada Nevada is offline

Nope, nothing like that. I have the file open, I will be writing. And then i
get the urge to surf the web, so i minimize the file, and go surfing. within
30 minutes the file closes itself. for no reason.

i really want to thank you for trying to help me. i know it sounds trivial
but i'm afraid that im somehow going to lose pages and pages of writing
because of this. despite having the automatic backup thing on.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Since the file is minimized when it closes, it does sound as if it might be
a similar problem. Do you have handwriting recognition enabled?

http://word.mvps.org

"nevada" wrote in message
Nope, nothing like that. I have the file open, I will be writing. And then
get the urge to surf the web, so i minimize the file, and go surfing.
within
30 minutes the file closes itself. for no reason.

i really want to thank you for trying to help me. i know it sounds trivial
but i'm afraid that im somehow going to lose pages and pages of writing
because of this. despite having the automatic backup thing on.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I can only suggest that when you get the urge to surf the Web you (a) save
the file you're working on and (b) not minimize it (you can leave it open
behind your browser).

http://word.mvps.org