Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul Paul is offline

Default Buttons for Outline/Normal/WebLayout/Print/Reading Views?

I am using Word 2003 on Windows XP. I opened a Word attachment to my
email...the buttons for the different views are not visible! I opened
another Word document attachment (without closing the first one) and
the buttons *are* visible. Furthermore, the toolbars that are
activated are the same for the two documents. What checkbox/option do
I change to get the View buttons visible in the first document?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul Paul is offline

On Apr 16, 11:03*am, Paul wrote:
I am using Word 2003 on Windows XP. *I opened a Word attachment to my
email...the buttons for the different views are not visible! *I opened
another Word document attachment (without closing the first one) and
the buttons *are* visible. *Furthermore, the toolbars that are
activated are the same for the two documents. *What checkbox/option do
I change to get the View buttons visible in the first document?

I forgot to add that the Zoom percentage field is also grayed out in
the document that doesn't have View buttons.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Sounds like the document may be opening in Reading Layout view? You can
press ESC to exit that view. Also, you may want to clear the "Allow starting
in Reading Layout" on the General tab of Tools | Options.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Paul" wrote in message
On Apr 16, 11:03 am, Paul wrote:
I am using Word 2003 on Windows XP. I opened a Word attachment to my
email...the buttons for the different views are not visible! I opened
another Word document attachment (without closing the first one) and
the buttons *are* visible. Furthermore, the toolbars that are
activated are the same for the two documents. What checkbox/option do
I change to get the View buttons visible in the first document?

I forgot to add that the Zoom percentage field is also grayed out in
the document that doesn't have View buttons.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul Paul is offline

Close...it was Read-Only. When I saved a copy and unchecked Read-
Only, things went back to normal. Thanks...

"Paul" wrote:
On Apr 16, 11:03 am, Paul wrote:

I am using Word 2003 on Windows XP. I opened a Word attachment to my
email...the buttons for the different views are not visible! I opened
another Word document attachment (without closing the first one) and
the buttons *are* visible. Furthermore, the toolbars that are
activated are the same for the two documents. What checkbox/option do
I change to get the View buttons visible in the first document?

I forgot to add that the Zoom percentage field is also grayed out in
the document that doesn't have View buttons.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hmm, that wasn't what I would except. In other words, I don't think I was
very close... :-)

Actually, you should be able to modify a read-only document, although you'd
have to Save As in order to preserve the changes of course.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Paul" wrote:
On Apr 16, 11:03 am, Paul wrote:

I am using Word 2003 on Windows XP. I opened a Word attachment to my
email...the buttons for the different views are not visible! I opened
another Word document attachment (without closing the first one) and
the buttons *are* visible. Furthermore, the toolbars that are
activated are the same for the two documents. What checkbox/option do
I change to get the View buttons visible in the first document?

I forgot to add that the Zoom percentage field is also grayed out in
the document that doesn't have View buttons.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul Paul is offline

I agree with your expectations....I suppose another possible cause was
that it was opened from an email attachment when it was read-only.
When I changed it from read-only, I had saved it to disk.

"Paul" wrote:
On Apr 16, 11:03 am, Paul wrote:

I am using Word 2003 on Windows XP. I opened a Word attachment to my
email...the buttons for the different views are not visible! I opened
another Word document attachment (without closing the first one) and
the buttons *are* visible. Furthermore, the toolbars that are
activated are the same for the two documents. What checkbox/option do
I change to get the View buttons visible in the first document?

I forgot to add that the Zoom percentage field is also grayed out in
the document that doesn't have View buttons.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Saving an e-mail attachment to the hard drive before editing it is the
recommended approach (as you may already know).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP