Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
xppuser xppuser is offline

Default Starting page numbering 21 at page 21 but no numbering preceding p

Dear all,

OS: Window XP Professional SP3, Office 2003 Professional SP3,

I have created a document - 313 pages all together, divided into 177
sections. The last thing I am about to do (trying to do - at present,
unsuccessfully) is to insert page numbering. The requirement is to start the
numbering at page 21 (for my purpose), the preceding 20 pages (which included
Title, Acknowledgement, TOC, List of Figures etc) - the numbers are not
supposed to show i.e. the first numbering number to show would then be page
number 21 containing the text proper, followed by 22 and so on.

I have read http://word.mvps.org/faqs/numbering/PageNumbering.htm,
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/numbering/...gExplained.htm, and
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/conc...ers/index.html but without
success in accomplishing what I need to do.

I would therefore appreciate it and be grateful for any advice to achieve
what I wanted to do i.e. start numbering at page 21 with page number 21 but
where the preceding 20 pages do not have the page number appearing.

Please do let me know if my description was unclear.

Thank you,
jes
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

If you have read http://word.mvps.org/faqs/numbering/PageNumbering.htm, then
I suspect you need to read it again. Big Idea #3 and Big Idea #5 are the
ones you particularly need. You must insert a section break between pages 20
and 21, unlink the header or footer (wherever your page number appears) in
Section 2 from the one in Section 1, and insert the PAGE field in Section 2
only (or remove it from Section 1 if you've already inserted it). By
default, Word will continue the page numbering in Section 2 from Section 1,
so it will start at page 21 as desired.

http://word.mvps.org

"xppuser" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

That's a huge number of section breaks - less than 2 pages per section. Why
do you need so many section breaks?

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"xppuser" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
xppuser xppuser is offline

Default Starting page numbering 21 at page 21 but no numbering precedi

Suzanne, Terry,

Thank you for your input. I am going to read it again.

Terry: Instead of page break between each chapter, I have used section break
is more versatile than page break e.g. I can do what I want in a section and
it will not affect the section before and after (FWIW). I have been doing
this for years i.e. using section break next page instead of page break.

Suzanne: Deducing from the big idea (which I did try - but still showed
....17, 18, 19, 20) and Terry's comment, I am going to change all my section
break next page before page 21 to page break, apply a section break next page
at page 20 and then I will report back. I also tried { PAGE } with same
result - likely to my not understanding (at deeper level) Word 2003 document
mechanics/nuances.

jes

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Jes

Adding all those unnecessary sections only complicates the structure of
Word. My advice is to avoid section and page breaks where ever possible by
simply adding the ParaPageBreakBefore attribute to the line you want to
start on a new page. For example, it is common to start Heading Level 1s on
a new page, so adding PageBreakBefore to the H1 style achieves what is
needed without resort to any manual breaks. This will vastly reduce the
underlying complexity of the document and long documents will be faster to
load, display and save as well as make the document more robust and
resistant to corruption.

Terry

"xppuser" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

While everything you say is true, I disagree when it comes to section breaks
between chapters. Even though I use StyleRef fields extensively, I still use
a Next Page (or more often Odd Page) section break between chapters because
I want to take advantage of "Different first page" to have no header on the
first page of a chapter, as well as running heads (using "Different odd and
even") throughout the rest of the chapter. If that's Jes's reason for the
section breaks, then I support him in that use.

http://word.mvps.org

"xppuser" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

The key is unlinking the headers/footers that should have page numbers from
those that shouldn't. If you have several sections in the first 20 pages,
and *they* are unlinked, then you may have to skip through several
headers/footers either removing the page number or linking to a previous
header/footer from which you've removed it.

http://word.mvps.org

"xppuser" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

I concur with that as there are two good reasons (different first page and
to force the section starts with an odd page). But with an average of just
1.77 pages per section, is that likely?

Terry

"xppuser" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
xppuser xppuser is offline

hi Suzanne and Terry,

Thank you again for both comments. I'll describe a typical chapter as an
example.

I use built-in Heading 1 level for say Chapter 1, followed then by some
paragraphs of text then sub-headings, again using built-in Heading 2 and 3
(and for the whole document - only up to Heading 3 and no more). Within each
chapter I have either a table or tables and/or figure of figures (for which I
used built-in caption-ing). Because of the requirement by my organization
that table, tables, figure or figures must be on individual page, I have used
section break next page if the next page going to contain table(s) or
figure(s) and following either table(s) or figure(s) or the beginning of the
next chapter.

However, now, I have tried page break for all pages to just before page 20
and inserted section break next page on page 20. Even after these changes,
all the pages are still showing from 1 - 21. I don't seem to be able to
somehow forced words not to display the first 20 pages page numbering. I
tried 'unlinking' headers/footers on page 20 - in spite of this, the page
numbering still showed up!

The other thing that I have tried (in light of Terry's comments) is to do
away with page breaks and section breaks altogether for the first twenty
pages, again I was not able to make that the first page numbering is page 21
beginning at page 21.

Suzanne, I am intrigued by StyleRef fields - would you be able to give me
pointers as to how to utlize this? If this can be co-apted into my document
to solve the numbering, then I would give this a go.

Terry, I hope the above description of my document helps.

This is one vexing problem! I hope there is further pointer(s) and advice.

Thank you again for your input.

jes

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Unless you're changing the page orientation for the figures and tables, or
unless there is a requirement that a page with a table or figure not have
the usual header/footer, a simple page break should suffice (a section break
should not be necessary).

If you have page numbers showing on pages 1-20, then it does not suffice to
just unlink the header/footer in the section beginning on page 21 from the
headers/footers on the previous pages; you must actually access the
headers/footers in those previous sections and delete the page numbers.

The whole idea is that a header/footer has the content you have put into it;
if you want it gone, you have to remove it. If you want to remove it
selectively (or insert it selectively from the outset), you have to unlink
the sections before deleting/inserting it.

StyleRef fields have no relation to page numbering, but see Word's Help on
the field for the basics and http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/StyleRef.htm
for some further uses.

http://word.mvps.org