Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
francine francine is offline

Default re-arranging in the TOC

when i move a subhead in the TOC, the corresponding subhead does not move in
my document. what am i doing wrong? grateful for answers,
--
Francine
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

That is not the way that the Table of Contents works. Use the Outline View
for that sort of thing.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Francine" wrote in message
when i move a subhead in the TOC, the corresponding subhead does not move
in
my document. what am i doing wrong? grateful for answers,
--
Francine

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
francine francine is offline

I am in Outline View. What I want to do is rearrange my whole book (it's
still early in the making that's why I want to learn this at this point). So
I highlight a subhead and use the arrow to move it up or down in the TOC
(which it does). But when I go to the actual location in the document, the
subhead and its copy have not been moved. I am doing all this in Outline View.

What are your consulting fees if I'd like your regular hand-holding on this?
Thanks very much!
--
Francine

"Francine" wrote in message
when i move a subhead in the TOC, the corresponding subhead does not move
in
my document. what am i doing wrong? grateful for answers,
--
Francine

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The TOC generates by collecting information (such as heading styles) from
the main text. Rearranging the TOC has no effect on the main text. However,
rearranging the main text _does_ have an effect on the TOC.

You'll need to move the subsections of the text first (more easily done in
outline view) and then update the TOC.

PamC

Francine wrote:
I am in Outline View. What I want to do is rearrange my whole book (it's
still early in the making that's why I want to learn this at this point). So
I highlight a subhead and use the arrow to move it up or down in the TOC
(which it does). But when I go to the actual location in the document, the
subhead and its copy have not been moved. I am doing all this in Outline View.

What are your consulting fees if I'd like your regular hand-holding on this?
Thanks very much!
That is not the way that the Table of Contents works. Use the Outline View
for that sort of thing.

when i move a subhead in the TOC, the corresponding subhead does not move
in
my document. what am i doing wrong? grateful for answers,

Arranging windows Oxi Microsoft Word Help 1 August 9th 07 02:00 PM
Arranging Pages JaB Page Layout 1 December 15th 05 01:27 PM
Re-arranging multiple choice questions jdonahue Microsoft Word Help 2 May 7th 05 08:46 PM
arranging documents on the taskbar reenyw23 New Users 1 December 3rd 04 02:51 AM
Arranging documents on the taskbar reenyw23 Microsoft Word Help 1 December 3rd 04 02:49 AM