Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
WagFlorida

Default Word 2002 - Add Horizontal Line DOES NOT WORK!!!

Word 2002 (10.4....) SP-2, installed in two computers.

The first allow me, as usual, at the FORMAT menu, BORDERS and SHADING,
clicking the "Horizontal Line" at the bottom, opens a screen with selection
of several styles of horizontal lines, clicking over anyone will include such
horizontal line in middle of the text on screen (aka "fancy lines").

Since this week, the second computer does not allow me to do it anymore.
Now, clicking the "Add Horizontal Line" at the bottom of the BORDERS and
SHADING opens the INSERT PICTURE screen. That is making me nuts. I already
removed completely the Office from this machine, installed everything again,
it simply refuses to open the same screen with selection of several
horizontal lines, it goes directly to the INSERT PICTURE screen.

Getting nuts here.

Thank you for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
WagFlorida

Ok, updates:

I was able to find on TOOLS menu, CUSTOMIZE, KEYBOARD, INSERT (Left pane),
InsertHorizontalLine (Right pane), and assigned a keyboard short-cut as
Ctrl+H (as new shortcut), APPLY, OK, etc.

Then, when pressing Ctrl+H at the keyboard the Horizontal Line appears at
the desired position on the document.

Ok, right above the "InsertHorizontalLine" at the right pane, there is the
option for "InsertGraphicHorizontalLine". Selected it, assigned the keyboard
shortcut as Ctrl+G. I was happy.

Now clicking Ctrl+G it is the same as going to FORMAT, BORDERS and SHADING,
and clicking the Horizontal LIne button at the bottom. Guess what? It opens
"INSERT PICTURE" screen instead of opening the selection of horizontal lines.
This same procedure works fine at the computer #1, not at this computer #2.

Something is messed at the setup for what to open when clicking or selecting
"InsertGraphicHorizontalLine" on this computer #2.

Is this related to what is inside of "normal.dot" file? How can I check
this out?

Thank you.

"WagFlorida" wrote:

Word 2002 (10.4....) SP-2, installed in two computers.

The first allow me, as usual, at the FORMAT menu, BORDERS and SHADING,
clicking the "Horizontal Line" at the bottom, opens a screen with selection
of several styles of horizontal lines, clicking over anyone will include such
horizontal line in middle of the text on screen (aka "fancy lines").

Since this week, the second computer does not allow me to do it anymore.
Now, clicking the "Add Horizontal Line" at the bottom of the BORDERS and
SHADING opens the INSERT PICTURE screen. That is making me nuts. I already
removed completely the Office from this machine, installed everything again,
it simply refuses to open the same screen with selection of several
horizontal lines, it goes directly to the INSERT PICTURE screen.

Getting nuts here.

Thank you for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
WagFlorida

Thank You Suzanne.

In both computers, the one who puts the graphical horizontal line and the
one who doesn't, going to TOOLS | MACRO | MACROS | Word Commands list |
Selecting the InsertHorizontalLine or InsertGraphicalHorizontalLine (or any
other), does not allow me open the macro and see what it should do or what
file is involved. Either clicking RUN or STEP INTO, effectively RUNS the
macro. The better choice would be to EDIT the macro, but the EDIT button is
not active.

So, either clicking STEP INTO or RUN, for the InsertGraphicalHorizontalLine
in the "problem" computer, opens the INSERT PICTURE screen instead, and I
still without knowning why it doesn't open the graphic horizontal line
selection screen.

I understand that the InsertGraphicalHorizontalLIne is in fact inserting a
picture, but in the correct operation, it should open a list of special
pictures, in fact a list of pictures of fancy lines. What would be the
decision of Word (macro) if such file or files are missing where they should
be? Perhaps to avoid "files missing" situation, it jumps to the INSERT
PICTURE solution. I am trying to understand where or what files are involved
in this InsertGraphicalHorizontalLIne and compare on both machines to see if
something is missing.

Wagner.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Look in Tools | Macro | Macros for a macro named InsertHorizontalLine that
is hijacking the command.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You misunderstood my suggestion. I did not say to look for
InsertHorizontalLine in the Word Commands list (where of course it will be
found) but in the lists of macros in Normal.dot and other templates. If
there is a macro by this name that is running the InsertPicture command,
then this would explain the problem (which I understood the first time you
explained it).

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Look in Tools | Macro | Macros for a macro named InsertHorizontalLine

that
is hijacking the command.

newsgroup so

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
WagFlorida

Thank you Suzanne,

After I answered your e-mail, I thought about it, but the doubt would be if
any "created macro" would take over the precedence of the "native macro".
I know now that it is possible, based on your suggestion.

But unfortunately there is no other InsertGraphicalHorizontalLine macro
anywhere on such macro lists.

Anyway, I found the image .gif files for the "fancy lines", they are into the;

c:\program files\microsoft office\media\office10\lines\*.gif

In the same directory there is a "LINES.DLL", what suggest to be the DLL to
be open when lauching the command "InsertGraphicalHorizontalLines".

Appears that this DLL is responsible to format the screen and selection of
the fancy lines to be inserted. The worst part now is to find how and where
in the word "native macros" (if it is a macro) that call such DLL.

I scanned registry from both machines about the LINES.DLL, found a single
occurance in the "good machine", and two occurances at the same entry in the
"bad machine". The entry hex value is different between the two and
different from the good machine. In both machines, the entry is at;

HLM;Software;Microsoft;Windows;CurrentVersion;Inst aller;UserData;S-1-5-18;Components;C02AC9CD80A1.....2569

In the good machine the entry is;
name: 904082090006.....389C
data: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\media\office10\lines\LINES.DLL

In the bad machine the two entries are;
name: 904011290006....389C
data: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\media\office10\lines\LINES.DLL
name: 904091090006....389C
data: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\media\office10\lines\LINES.DLL

I have no idea what this entries mean and why the "bad machine" has two and
different from the "good machine" (only the first 4 bytes are different).

Nothing else found different from both machines. All the .gif files and the
application location addresses are exactly the same at the Word options.

There is no other reference at the registry for the LINES.DLL in both
machines.
The DLL is exactly the same in both, and I copied the DLL from the good to
the bad, just for testing.

It seems pretty intuitive that this LINES.DLL is what is not being called at
the bad machine, but I don't know how to invoke this DLL just to make sure
that it would open the fancy lines selection screen.

Will keep searching.

Thank you again,